General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Is it possible to have too many Nord Stage keyboards?

Postby ericL » 16 Jul 2017, 19:52

You might think I'm crazy. I just might be.

I've had the NS2 88 (one of the first available in the US) for over 6 years. It was my constant companion until early 2016, when I picked up the NS2 EX 76 to have a backup NS2, plus the lighter weight of transport (saved 14 lbs).

Just this past week, I've added a NS2 EX Compact. I found a deal I could not pass up and I've always wanted one for even lighter transport and waterfall keys that I miss (I have a Hammond A-series console organ in my studio). I've spent some time this weekend downloading and matching up the sounds in my two NS2 EX units. Now, I suspect I will rotate between the two of these EX boards, depending on the gig and how easy I want to make it upon myself. Meanwhile, the older NS2 88 stays in my studio.

Next up, some kind of NS3. I think I'll wait a bit on this. At some point I'll probably sell one of my NS2 units.

It's fun having all three of the keyboard actions available! I love the NS2 and NS2 EX!
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Is it possible to have too many Nord Stage keyboards?

Sponsor

Re: Is it possible to have too many Nord Stage keyboards?

Postby DanielD71 » 16 Jul 2017, 20:03

One of my friend have over 15 electric guitars...play only with 3 of them but will never sell the others.
I had over 20 keyboards in 26 years of music... but I sold some to have new ones... The only one that I will always keep is my D50.

I sold all of my nords, I could say that at regret it but I've always sold my boards to get new one...
This year it's different, I will buy the NS388 but will keep my NS288EX for backup....

I'm only bringing now 2 boards for rehearsal and gigs...
Daniel
DanielD71

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby ericL » 16 Jul 2017, 20:32

Thanks for sharing - for many years I was all about selling gear if it "was not paying the bills" or in other words, "not actively used for gigs." The exception in the past was my vintage gear and my very first synth, the Roland JX-8P (owned since new in 1985). I've been through countless other boards in the past 20 years, most of which were sold after they reached the logical end of service or were replaced by other gear. I can't even count how many Nords I've owned (NS Classic, NS EX, every Electro model, so many Leads/Lead Racks, etc.). I did keep my old NE2 as it was with me for a long time and is a bit sentimental. Also, my Yamaha S90 is similar due to the number of years I enjoyed using it.

As for my current infatuation with the NS2 and NS2 EX, that's kind of new...I really like having multiples (I also have three Neo Ventilators - different versions). I guess that once I've found something that is really meeting my needs sustainably, I've acquired more of them to use in various venues, whether home, gigs, rehearsal. Fun times!
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby smcelyea » 18 Jul 2017, 08:42

I can relate. I guess I'm a keyboard hoarder. Still got 'em all since '68.
Hammond C3/122, Fender Rhodes Suitcase, Honner D6, Arp Odyessy, PE IV Solina String Ensemble, Mellotron 400, Oberheim OB8, DX7, KORG SGX88, KORG CX3, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK3c system, MOXF8, Hammond SK1-88, Nord Stage2EX 76. Yet, I am looking forward to getting a NS3 88. However most of my stash is now in my warehouse. Guess I should consider opening a Museum! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smcelyea

Postby kbrkr » 18 Jul 2017, 14:10

Interesting topic. I only have two keyboards, 1 drum set and 1 guitar. My wife will get into a pissing match with me if i bring home more equipment, so I have to keep it to a minimum. However, with that said, I can understand owning many many keyboards. They are tools for different applications. My two keyboards are a Kronos 2 which I use for band gigs. It's very versatile, but heavy. With this keyboard, I only need one for live playing as with the Combi's I can split into zones and layer which is great for live playing. I'm hoping to add the NS3C as backup and to perhaps replace the K2 so that I have something lighter and more tweakable during live performances. My other keyboard is a Korg Pa4x arranger, which I use for solo gigs. I has great bread and butter sounds, killer styles, TC Helicon Voice processor, and a Killer MP3 player.

I wish I could have a Hammond B3/147, Rhoades, etc. but they are just not practical any longer. I would love a Moog, D50, OBX, etc.

The author kbrkr was thanked by:
smcelyea
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby LudovicVDP » 18 Jul 2017, 14:54

Interesting topic indeed.
Having no dedicated room for my gear, I have to limit myself due to lack of space and also because gears and cables might not have the expected design for a living space. (Go figure...)
So I squeeze two synth right now (NL2ex and JP8000) along with the NS2EX76HP that I use for gigs and rehearsals. Plus the piano on the other side of the room, the computer, some pedals, and stuffs...

Have to limit myself but there is no way I spend a week without looking at synth demos, checking for second hand deals,...

So I totally understand the GAS. ;-)
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Quai34 » 19 Jul 2017, 09:26

Attached below is my preferred T-Shirt, Then:
It says on it: you can never have too many keyboard,
Nord instruments are keyboards,
Then, you can never have too many Nords!!!!
Done, and just let's get the virus of GAS filling and fueling your vein with his horrible tendency to buy again....
But we have T-Shirt to allow us, you know....The guitarists don't have that kind of T-Shirt and the are still buying way more guitar than us....
image.png
image.png (816.82 KiB) Viewed 731 times
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.

The author Quai34 was thanked by:
smcelyea
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to Nord Stage Forum