General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Useful transpose function

Postby danrv » 14 Jul 2017, 11:53

I found the on/off transpose function particularly useful recently when playing a 2 bar keyboard break in a song in a non original key ('Stay With Me' by the Faces).
We play this in E (original A) and the keys break in the intro is a bit of a pig but otherwise it's straight forward chords.
So I saved my regular EP patch with a +4 transpose setting enabling me to play the break in C by turning on the transpose function with one button press.
There are other ways around this like setting up a seperate zone or patch but was just impressed how easy this was on my Stage 2.
Last edited by danrv on 15 Jul 2017, 19:40, edited 3 times in total.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland XP80, Yamaha P140, Yamaha PSR2000 , 2 x Yamaha DXR10, Roland KC150, Toa D3 line mixer, Quiklok 2 tier X stand.
danrv

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Useful transpose function

Sponsor

Re: Useful transpose function

Postby Gospelkeys » 17 Jul 2017, 15:25

The transpose function is convenient but the enemy of musicianship.
Gospelkeys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 17 Jul 2017, 16:59

Gospelkeys wrote:The transpose function is convenient but the enemy of musicianship.

True EXCEPT when playing Superstition in a different key for the vocalist. Playing that s*** in anything but Eb minor knocks the groove clean out of it.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby Gospelkeys » 17 Jul 2017, 22:04

analogika wrote:
Gospelkeys wrote:The transpose function is convenient but the enemy of musicianship.

True EXCEPT when playing Superstition in a different key for the vocalist. Playing that s*** in anything but Eb minor knocks the groove clean out of it.

Agreed - Stevie W did a number of songs in Eb minor / Gb - it is a very rich sounding key.
Gospelkeys

Postby etNord » 18 Jul 2017, 15:16

The Key of Life, if you will
etNord

Postby kbrkr » 18 Jul 2017, 18:16

Sorry to sound like a pompous ass, but I never cheat with the transpose button. Even though I play with many different vocalists, I have learned how to transpose on the fly. I never trust the transpose button (my brain remembering), as it has a habit of staying transpose mode on the next song and wreaking all kinds of chaos on stage. Look up "Nashville Charts" if you want to learn how to get good at transposing.
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Gospelkeys » 18 Jul 2017, 18:59

kbrkr wrote:Sorry to sound like a pompous ass, but I never cheat with the transpose button. Even though I play with many different vocalists, I have learned how to transpose on the fly. I never trust the transpose button (my brain remembering), as it has a habit of staying transpose mode on the next song and wreaking all kinds of chaos on stage. Look up "Nashville Charts" if you want to learn how to get good at transposing.

+1

The transpose button is a dangerous thing on several levels, it is easy to get dependent on it.

I often find myself in situations where I have to use backlined or house instruments. Best to be overjoyed, not dismayed, when you see the backlined B3 clone you requested is a real B3 or the piano is a nice acoustic baby grand. You won't find a transpose button on those ;-)
Last edited by Gospelkeys on 18 Jul 2017, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

The author Gospelkeys was thanked by:
analogika
Gospelkeys

Postby Al_DeKlein » 18 Jul 2017, 22:29

The only time I use the transpose function is when the band is tuned down a half-step to accommodate the singer that can't hit the notes in the actual key. Then I'm playing in the normal key and can cheat off bass/guitar when I'm winging it ;-)
Al_DeKlein

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 18 Jul 2017, 23:13

I concur that the transpose function is of the devil, BUT: as I said, there are certain songs that absolutely depend upon the voicings being black keys.

"Supersttiton" and Stevie's other songs in Gb/Ebm aren't due to the "rich sound" - that's bollocks.

They're simply due to the pentatonic being all the black keys, which is a) pretty useful when you're blind and b) pretty indispensable for quite a bit of the Clavinet hacking style you need for his stuff.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Return to Nord Stage Forum