Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Nord5d or Nord5HP

Postby eibinger » 15 Jul 2017, 18:19

Hi, I consider to change my Nord5d to a Nord5HP, because I hope, that the velocity (or let´s say the conversion) from the hp-keys to the sound-engine is better (with more velocity) than the conversion from the waterfall-keys.
I know, that this might be a little problem playing organ-sounds, but I have a Hammond sk-1 and a xk-1 as well.
Any experience - perhaps are there people, that changed their 5d to a 5hp?

Thanks
Tom
eibinger

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Nord5d or Nord5HP

Sponsor

Re: Nord5d or Nord5HP

Postby Mr_-G- » 15 Jul 2017, 19:34

Make sure that you try before you buy. Some people report that the keybed is too "bouncy".
Last edited by Mr_-G- on 15 Jul 2017, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Rusty Mike » 15 Jul 2017, 20:26

It would help to have more information about how you use the instrument.

What kind of music to do you play?
Are you more piano oriented or more organ oriented?

In my experience, the waterfall keys require a more delicate touch than the hammer actions, particularly for the acoustic piano sounds.

Years ago, I bought an Electro 3 SW, but moved to the Electro 3 HP because I play mostly piano. The SW keys spring back very quickly, and are rather unnatural for piano playing. It affected me more for AP's than for the EP's. I played that Electro for quite a few years before upgrading to the Stage 2EX 76HP.

Yes, it's not the greatest feel for organ playing, but I can get by on some stuff. Like you, I have a waterfall instrument (Electro 4D) for organ playing.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Gambold » 15 Jul 2017, 20:42

If you'e going to be playing organ, with bands or yourself, at least half the time, you should seriously consider the waterfall keys. They do take some getting used to for acoustic piano, but there's nothing like waterfalls for organ play. That was my principle reason for going waterfall and I don't regret it - although I force myself to play on my Korg SV-1 often to keep my fingers strong!

If your organ play will be minimal, then you should go with hammer action - the Nord piano libary will be best suited to that. It doesn't seem to matter for Rhodes emulation.
Last edited by Gambold on 15 Jul 2017, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
Gambold

Postby Rusty Mike » 15 Jul 2017, 21:28

Gambold wrote:It doesn't seem to matter for Rhodes emulation.

True. It's quite comfortable to play Rhodes on the waterfall keys.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby eibinger » 16 Jul 2017, 10:56

OK, thanks for the discussion. I am Keyboarder in a cover-band and we make music up from the 60s til today.
Most ot the time I am on stage with my Nord5d or my Kurzweil SP4/7 for piano and rhodes-sounds and I use my Hammond SK-1 or XK-1 for organ-sounds.
Only in the case, we have small gigs (or when I am lazy to carry two boards) I play all sounds with the Nord5d (or with the Kurzweil).
If possible, I would carry Hammond, Kurzweil and Nord on stage, but I am not Mark Hart from Supertramp.
I know, I know, friends, the Nord5d has a great hammond-simulation! But it is only a simulation and it is very comfortable to change between two boards - that brings me safety in the Performance.
So I think, I will keep my Nord5d.
Thanks for your assistance.
Last edited by eibinger on 16 Jul 2017, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
eibinger

Postby pauleway » 18 Jul 2017, 20:20

I know I am in the minority on this subject (on this forum), but I have a 5HP and much prefer the feel of the weighted keyboard(for organ playing) than the waterfall feel.
But I am more of a "piano" player than an "organ" player, so this might be why I prefer the weighted key feel!
pauleway

Postby eibinger » 08 Aug 2017, 19:14

Does anyone know a technical solution to avoid/improve the clattering of the Nord5hp-keys?
eibinger

Postby Pendagon » 14 Aug 2017, 13:00

Hi,

this is a well known problem of the weighted Nord keyboard, which are delivered from Fatar. the only chance is, to renew the complete keybed. I have got the same problem with the 3HP. So I ordered a new keybed (still waiting for).

Cheers from Ostfriesland,

Alex
Pendagon

Return to Nord Electro Forum