General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

NS with Dual KB NI S61 and Soft Synths?

Postby Jonnie Cache » 14 Jul 2017, 14:27

I am trying to plan my setup for when the NS3 comes. I will be using a Native Instruments Komplete S61 as a secondary keyboard controller. I'm going through the manual and I'm not sure how/if this will work. Here are the scenarios that I would like to switch between during live performance:

1. NS3 with one instrument, S61 connected to NS3 via MIDI somehow to play a different instrument on NS3.

2. NS3 with one instrument, S61 connected to my MacBook Pro to play soft instruments.

3. NS3 connected to my MacBook Pro to play soft instruments, S61 connected to NS3 to play a NS3 instrument.

Of the three scenarios, I would REALLY like to do #1 and #2. Scenario #3 is a nice-to-have and if I can't get that to work, that's okay.

I will be playing live and I'm trying to figure out with the various connections (DIN MIDI vs USB) if it is possible to switch live between the different scenarios. Of course, I know these can be done. I'm just not sure if they can be done in a manner that is quick enough or can be programmed to switch between during a live gig.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Jonnie Cache
Jonnie Cache

NS with Dual KB NI S61 and Soft Synths?

Sponsor

Re: NS with Dual KB NI S61 and Soft Synths?

Postby maxpiano » 14 Jul 2017, 14:45

Use Mainstage on the Mac to do teh MIDI Routing, coordinating all elements of the setup, and you'll handle all 3 scenarios (and much more) pretty easily.

For cases where scenario 1 only applies, you just need a MIDI cable from the out of the master to the IN of the NS.

Download and read the Nord Stage MIDI Tutorial available in the Downloads of this forum, NS3 is based on the same general principles (although it seems to be missign the ability to address a single Section via a dedicated MIDI Receive Channel, according to its manual, which was instead present in NS and NS2)
Last edited by maxpiano on 14 Jul 2017, 14:48, edited 4 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
Jonnie Cache
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Jonnie Cache » 14 Jul 2017, 14:54

maxpiano wrote:Use Mainstage on the Mac to do teh MIDI Routing, coordinating all elements of the setup, and you'll handle all 3 scenarios (and much more) pretty easily.

For cases where scenario 1 only applies, you just need a MIDI cable from the out of the master to the IN of the NS.

Download and read the Nord Stage MIDI Tutorial available in the Downloads of this forum, NS3 is based on the same general principles (although it seems to be missign the ability to address a single Section via a dedicated MIDI Receive Channel, according to its manual, which was instead present in NS and NS2)

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the MIDI Tutorial, but maybe I'm missing some things. So, if I have the MIDI cable run from the NI to the NS, will that MIDI signal be passed through to the Mac/Mainstage via a USB connection between the N3 and the Mac?
Jonnie Cache

Postby maxpiano » 14 Jul 2017, 19:19

No, it will not be passed thru 100%, some MIDI data can be passed thru using the Extern Section "Soft Thru" feature (matching channel notes and some limited set of standard CCs) but I would't go that route. I'd rather connect both keyboards to the Mac, via USB or MIDI (need 2 INs in that case) and then have Mainstage do all the routing, to Virtual Instruments and from S61 master to NS3 also, patch by patch.
Last edited by maxpiano on 14 Jul 2017, 19:21, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Jonnie Cache » 15 Jul 2017, 13:33

maxpiano wrote:No, it will not be passed thru 100%, some MIDI data can be passed thru using the Extern Section "Soft Thru" feature (matching channel notes and some limited set of standard CCs) but I would't go that route. I'd rather connect both keyboards to the Mac, via USB or MIDI (need 2 INs in that case) and then have Mainstage do all the routing, to Virtual Instruments and from S61 master to NS3 also, patch by patch.

Oh, that makes perfect sense! Thanks for the help!
Jonnie Cache

Return to Nord Stage Forum