NS, Dual Kbd, and live performance VST hosting using Akai, N

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Jonnie Cache

NS, Dual Kbd, and live performance VST hosting using Akai, N

Post by Jonnie Cache »

I have pre-ordered a NS3 88 and I cannot wait for it to come! I plan to use the Dual Kbd function with it for live play. The question is what controller should I use? I want to be able to use it live with the NS3, but also have a good interface to virtual instruments on my Mac for live performance. I use Ableton for my DAW, but don’t necessarily need to use it for live performance.

I have had the Novation SL MKII in the past. I currently have an Akai Advance 61. But, I’m not entirely happy with the feel of the keys. I am very disappointed with the VIP software. Somewhat crashy, a bit too slow, and doesn’t do a good job with many of my VSTs. I’m worried that Akai is no longer maintaining it going forward.

I am considering the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61. I have Komplete 11 Ultimate already. I have heard it does a good job with hosting VSTs also. It supposedly has a great feel.

Instead of Komplete Kontrol or VIP, I have read a little about GigPerformer, Freestyle, and Mainstage as VST hosts, which I could use with any keyboard.

Cost is not the concern. I want a quality keybed, a good live setup, be able to host VSTs for live and recording, and have it work okay with Ableton. I’m looking at semi-weighted keys since I will already have the hammer action on the NA3 88.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Jonathan