Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Do I or don't I?!!

Postby Dave Ferris » 28 Jun 2017, 23:03

Hey Ben, sending you good vibes on getting "a good one". Sorry the Roland didn't work out. But after two with the same problem, I'd bail on it too.

For what I do, I'd rate the NP3 second behind the CP4 for sub 40 lb. stage pianos. It's a totally different flavor sonically and while the new Fatar action noticeably improves the player experience over the NP2, it's still a little slower response on the action for Jazz for me. Definitely a better build quality then the Yamaha. AND - the best attachable music rest on a stage piano in the industry !

Hope it all works out for you. Major hassle to have to go all through all of that. I feel if you get "a good one" though you'll be happy. :)
Last edited by Dave Ferris on 29 Jun 2017, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515, CP88

The author Dave Ferris was thanked by:
Macsaint777
Dave Ferris

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby cphollis » 29 Jun 2017, 04:49

Dave Ferris is one of those guys that I often agree with violently. and then disagree on other topics. He's a CP4 devotee, I'm a Nord Piano fan. Hey, whatever.

He turned me onto the RCF TT08-a speakers (winner!) along with Al Quinn and others.

He knows a lot more than I do about pre-amps, he's talking about his amazeballs $900 pres, but I'm holding out. And then there's the AP thing, he went used Steinway, I went all-in on a killer Bosendorfer.

It's all a healthy dialogue, which I value greatly. He does a jazz/classical thing which I don't do.

But listen to the dude, he knows of what he speaks :)
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Macsaint777 » 01 Jul 2017, 20:04

:thanks: Thanks for the good vibes, Dave! I believe in the power of agreement, so I agree with you it will be a GOOD one! Sweetwater told me it had shipped from Sweden only days before my order, so I expect it to be a newer one with the fixes for the key action issues we've been making Nord aware of. Truthfully, I had the exact same issues on a Nord Piano 2 in the past, so I'm well aware of them and was shocked when I read about them on the NP3. No worries on the Roland not working out, I love the massive control it offers, but I was frequently connecting my Electro 5D to the RD and playing the Nord sounds, so this swap makes sense, and Sweetwater graciously agreed to the exchange even though I was a bit past the return period.

Good to read your thoughts on the NP3 and the CP4. I picked up a CP4 a few weeks back, and for quick and light moves, I really enjoy it. The feel and sounds are quite good, and absolutely compete with those in the RD-2000.

It is indeed a major hassle to go through all these boards in such a short time period, but having a dealer who will bend over backwards to serve their customers, makes it a much better experience.

Cphollis, you are right on the money when it comes to Mr. Ferris, I have come to highly value and respect his opinions, and yours! Both of you are amazing piano players, and I appreciate the thoughts from two seasoned pros who have more than fluff to offer to us young guns! I can't read a single note, but I get by alright. I went back and listened to some recordings I did with the Nord Piano 2 when I had it, and I have to say I have never been as expressive with any keyboard as those recordings sound. Not the CP4, not the RD-800, not even the RD-2000... so I hope the new NP3 will be exactly what I need... and I want to guard against GAS, as it has badly depleted my credit score! May we all be content with WHAT we have, but never WHERE we are as musicians.
:keyboard2:
Cheers!
Last edited by Macsaint777 on 01 Jul 2017, 20:05, edited 2 times in total.
Macsaint777

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum