General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 3 - MIDI Clock Out

Postby rtuckr » 28 Jun 2017, 09:15

I purchased the first Electro in 2003. It was amazing at the time, but lacked features that could make it a true master keyboard for the stage. Soon after, they introduced the Nord Stage and Ext Section, splits, layers, etc. were added.

It seems remiss that past generations of the Stage have not included MIDI Clock Out, for syncing external gear. Perhaps the Stage was really meant to be self-contained, but it would be smart to allow other hardware (and even soft synths) to respond to the Stage's internal clock -- considering that it's at the heart of many live keyboardists' rigs.

MIDI Clock Out feature makes even more sense now, with Song List mode and seamless transitions. These are great master keyboard features, and I'd love all of my other gear to follow the song changes and clock changes from the master.

I haven't seen MIDI Clock Out promised, but I have read quite a few posts from Stage 2/2EX owners wondering why it's not there. Perhaps Nord can do it on the Stage 3. They've surprised us before.

-rt

The author rtuckr was thanked by:
smcelyea
rtuckr

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Nord Stage 3 - MIDI Clock Out

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 3 - MIDI Clock Out

Postby Jo Osantos1 » 28 Jun 2017, 11:54

Maybe the NS3 will surprise us :D
Jo Osantos1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby pietsvv » 11 Feb 2018, 03:14

Hope so!
pietsvv

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby alcools » 11 Feb 2018, 22:55

Me too !
Actual synth: Nord Modular G2 - Nord Stage 3 73 - Virus Ti2 - Peak - Prophet 6
Before: Nord Lead 3 & 4, Stage 1&2, Wave, Virus C, DSI Tetra, P12, and few others...
alcools

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby yfalmagne » 27 Aug 2018, 06:43

Still no way to send clock out of the NS3. Disappointing, but it does behave beautifully as a slave, so I've been using a midi splitter and clocking from my computer to sync other devices. Solid workaround for the time being; its syncs tight. But for a keyboard that costs $3.5k, is designed to be a main performance board in a larger rig, and has OODLES of tempo syncing features internally, why do I have to buy a box from MIDI Solutions to make it lock tite with the rest of my live gear??

At least just give us the option to echo incoming clock, like an old thru port.

The Real Boss way to do it would be to have full sync routing, mixing, and echo options between USB and Din. (Moog Sub37 nailed this; go Amos)

This would be awesome for me because:
(I.e. I can have clock incoming via USB echoed and sent to the din output, mixed with everything I'm playing on the ST3)

But think about how useful that would be for those of us using complex setups ...
yfalmagne

Postby stringtapper » 27 Aug 2018, 16:01

yfalmagne wrote:But for a keyboard that costs $3.5k, is designed to be a main performance board in a larger rig…

Is it?
Nord Stage 3 Compact 73//Korg SV-1 88//Radial Key Largo//Boss FS-7//Moog EP-3 x2//2016 MacBook Pro//MainStage 3//Omnisphere 2.6//Komplete 12
stringtapper

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby metalfingers » 03 Feb 2020, 15:43

Who's bumping an old thread? This guy!

This would be extremely helpful for my setup. My other synth is a Nord Lead 3 which has a slightly inaccurate internal clock.

For now, our Ableton click track setup can go down to the hundredth of a BPM and that works. But it's annoying to have to tell our worship leader to clock Mosaic's "New Heart" at exactly 140.22 BPM... Nord really could solve this once and for all by adding the ability for the NS3 to step up to the plate and be a real big boy master keyboard.
metalfingers

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Postby Pianodon » 08 Feb 2020, 01:59

BUMP!
Pianodon

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Stage Forum