Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

How do you record your Nord Lead?

Postby Puukka » 13 Jun 2017, 10:25

When I look at the Synthesizer market, the Blofeld seem to be the only 16 part multitimbral and the Nord Leads 4 part. Some have two, but most of them offer only one sound at once.

Now I wonder:
1.) Is it not common to use a Synth multitimbral anymore?
2.) How are you recording the Synth? "Freezing" the tracks to audio parts?
3.) If you are recording it multitimbral, how do fix Bank/Program change/Pan/Volume to each track.

I wouldn´t like to record all parts to audio, because I´m composing note for note, all the time changing notes and sounds, till I´m satisfied.
Also I can take the load off the CPU, being busy enough with the other VST tracks.
I´m used to put the Controller Events into the first bar using the listeditor of Cubase, but might be an odd solution. Are there any other?

Thanks and kind regards,
Herbert
Last edited by Puukka on 13 Jun 2017, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
Puukka
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

How do you record your Nord Lead?

Sponsor

Re: How do you record your Nord Lead?

Postby starkaudio » 13 Jun 2017, 12:32

Hello Herbert,

I have always enjoyed using the synth in multitimbral-mode. I use two Lead A1rs. When I use the Nords I usually don't freeze tracks, but like you I run the outputs of the synths into my audio interface and into my DAW.

As for recording bank and patch changes, I use Ableton Live and built a small utility for Live that I can use to automate/recall bank and patch changes.

Cheers!
starkaudio

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Muied Lumens » 13 Jun 2017, 16:44

In practice, the Blofeld is not 16 part multitimbral. It runs out of steam long before reaching that amount of parts, and is known to have a few bugs as well. Looks good on paper, but in practice it is something else. Not to say it is a bad sounding synth, but I never got one because of these failings.

It sounds like you need a soft synth, something like Omnisphere perhaps?
Muied Lumens

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Postby Puukka » 13 Jun 2017, 18:01

Thanks for your valuable infos!

I had the Blofeld for a trial period last week, it didn´t react to pan controller CC10 values, Thomann Service confirmed that, so now I´ve the A1 for trial.
I was upset, finding myself again in multitimbral troubles but found a solution, it needs unchecking a box at Cubase preferences, other multitimbral Synths don´t need.
https://www.norduserforum.com/nord-lead-rack-forum-f12/4-part-multitimbral-with-cubase-problem-t13307.html

Funny you mentioned it, my main Synthesizer is Omnisphere 2, but the CPU usage (i3) is very high, about 50% with 100% spikes when using about 8 tracks Omnisphere.
Some Omnisphere pads are using 50% alone. Tried all tricks mentioned in the internet, nothing helped.
That´s why I´d like to reach three goals at once:

1.) Dismissing my old Juno-Di, (only used the piano sound anymore) I´d need a keyboard
2.) Relieving my good old CPU (don´t want to update and spend weeks struggling with my old and beloved software being not compatible anymore)
2.) I love knobs and switches, the more, the better, and dreamt of Moogs since childhood (at that days I only could afford a Moog sweater, which I was wearing every day)

Kind regards,
Herbert
Last edited by Puukka on 13 Jun 2017, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Puukka
Patch Creator

Postby mon8169 » 15 Jun 2017, 14:05

hallo Herbert,

I agree with Muied Lumens, you may be better served with soft synths.

What are you trying to do?

Ramon
Cheers!
Ramon

Nord Stage Classic 76, Cantabile with Pianoteq, IK Hammond B-3X, NI B4-II and others.
mon8169
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby Puukka » 27 Jun 2017, 10:24

Hi Ramon

My compositions are soft spheric electronic/space/lounge related.
As mentioned before, I have Omnisphere 2 but it lacks soft, warm lead sounds, which some I now have programmed at the A1 quite successfully.
Out of Omnisphere 2 I´ve selected over 100 warm pads, lots of complex Arps but only 13 warm lead sounds, which would suit my music.
Most lead sounds of Omnisphere 2 are on the agressive, bright side.
On the other side the A1 lacks complex Arps, Pads and Soundscapes, that way they are complementing each other.

I´d appreciate recommendation of VST Plugins or Hardware Synths that would suit my stile!

Kind regards,
Herbert
Puukka
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum