Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Recording from Nord Electro 5 to mac

Postby Jomoon » 24 Jun 2017, 09:37

Hi

I have a Nord Electro 5D and a macbook air with an inbuilt mic

I would like to record from my Nord to garageband....rather than record onto quicktime using the inbuilt mic

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks
Jomoon

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Recording from Nord Electro 5 to mac

Sponsor

Re: Recording from Nord Electro 5 to mac

Postby Berretje » 24 Jun 2017, 11:36

Hi Jomoon and welcome on the forum!

To get a descent quality of recording into garageband, it is wise to get an (external) audio interface for you macbook.
Depending how many inputs or outputs you wish to have there are several models which suits your needs.

I think there are some topics about this on the forum.
https://goo.gl/movzuK

Gr
Bart
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: Recording from Nord Electro 5 to mac

Postby Ignatius » 26 Jun 2017, 17:23

Jomoon, you don't say which country you are in, but in the US we can get a small mixer for less than $80 US that includes a USB interface. The Behringer Xenyx Q802USB Mixer is a good example, and the one that I use.

It has the additional benefit of allowing me to run a mic for vocals, pan the tracks hard right and hard left, then configure Garage Band to take in the board and the singing on separate tracks. This facilitates making a scratch recording - you can overdub your keys in stereo afterward, and your keeper vocal as well.

Your inbuilt mic is unlikely to give you satisfactory results. The best bang for a buck you can find are the Shure M58s, usually available for about $100 - sometimes less - and worth their weight in gold. Run that into your mixer and you will like what you hear.
Ignatius

Return to Nord Electro Forum