General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Nord Stage 2 in combination with Doepfer D3M

Postby maxpiano » 31 Dec 2016, 14:37

You are right but they will only work on the currently selected Slot(s) and the common effects (= Rotary, if MW or AT are morphed to control the speed) but, for example: if you are playing Piano + Synth on Slot A on the NS and another Synth on Slot B from the D3M, you have only Slot A "active" on the NS and so its PB and MW will not affect the slot B synth.

If you need/want a more complete secondary master, even if it will not have exactly the same "Hammond-like" keybed, there are a few which have a waterfall keyboard, such as the Novation Impulse 61 (which also has plenty of controls and MIDI configurability) or you may also consider to just go for a good synth action master (at the end of the day also most Hammond spinets didn't have a waterfall keybed either)
Last edited by maxpiano on 31 Dec 2016, 14:39, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby tommes » 31 Dec 2016, 15:07

What about the leslie-function (slow/fast) if I use piano on slot A and organ on slot B and I have a control-pedal for the leslie and a volume pedal for the organ - can I control the leslie speed and the organ volume on the "inactive" slot B which I play via Midi?
A workaround for the Problem with the PB and the MW could be to split the keyboard in slot A and senden Midi-data only for the synth-section.
However, I will take a closer look to the Novation Impulse 61, perhaps this could be also an alternative.
tommes

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby maxpiano » 31 Dec 2016, 16:36

tommes wrote:What about the leslie-function (slow/fast) if I use piano on slot A and organ on slot B and I have a control-pedal for the leslie and a volume pedal for the organ - can I control the leslie speed and the organ volume on the "inactive" slot B which I play via Midi?

Yes, you can, correct. Those 2 controls (Rotary Speed and Organ Swell pedal) are common.
Last edited by maxpiano on 31 Dec 2016, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby pablomastodon » 31 Dec 2016, 18:48

note that there's only one leslie for both slots -- it's global
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby tommes » 03 Jan 2017, 12:05

I could manage to borrow a Midi-Controller yesterday and had some time to play around with the Stage 2.
I recognized that it is possible to set the midi-channel of Organ B and Synth B on the same channel, i.e. channel 3. You get a warning in the display with the "*", but it works.
Like this I was able to control Organ B and Synth B via the Midi-Controller, and also Leslie- and Organ-volume-pedals worked, as well as PB and MW for the Synth-section.
In the Stage 2 I played the pianos or the second organ manual. The fact that there is "only" one leslie for all organs selected is fine for me, as it is what I expected because I am used to it on the real Hammond.
So that's exactly what I wanted - so I'll go for a D3M now.
Thanks for your great support!
Last edited by tommes on 03 Jan 2017, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
tommes

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Jasonbass32 » 04 Jan 2017, 06:28

Please let us know what you think of the Deopfer D3M after you get it. I am also interested in this controller as an add-on to my Stage 2 HA76

Thanks

Jason
Jasonbass32

Postby MartinJ2EX » 15 Jun 2017, 19:10

I do now have the Doepfer D3M module paired with a seperate TP/8o... :D

Problem scenario:

Organ Slot A MIDI activated
=> Organ also activated on Stage 2EX Manual => can be played with TP/8o or internal manual WITH SUSTAIN FUNCTION..

but: slot on, but not assigned to internal keybed.. => TP8o MIDI still working, but SUSTAIN GONE...

should it be that way?! or in other words: is there a setting to fix this behaviour?

Furthermore:...
MIDI settings for channels on instruments cannot be changed PROGRAM-wise, right? :thumbdown:
Last edited by MartinJ2EX on 15 Jun 2017, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 4 88 | Stage 2 EX 88
Numa Organ 2 | DX7 IIFD | JX-08
SL 61mk3 | opsix | UB-Xa

Live Musician since 2010
> My Website <

Sugar Sharks | Hertha Band
MartinJ2EX
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby maxpiano » 19 Jun 2017, 12:11

MartinJ2EX wrote:I do now have the Doepfer D3M module paired with a seperate TP/8o... :D

Problem scenario:

Organ Slot A MIDI activated
=> Organ also activated on Stage 2EX Manual => can be played with TP/8o or internal manual WITH SUSTAIN FUNCTION..

but: slot on, but not assigned to internal keybed.. => TP8o MIDI still working, but SUSTAIN GONE...

should it be that way?! or in other words: is there a setting to fix this behaviour?

Furthermore:...
MIDI settings for channels on instruments cannot be changed PROGRAM-wise, right? :thumbdown:

When you assign a section to MIDI only (all zones off) also all controls for that Section such as the Sustain can only get to it via MIDI i.e. in your case from the D3M (which has actually an input for an assignable foot switch/pedal)

And... yes, Global/Slot/Sections/DualKb MIDI Channels are Global settings, so not "per Program"... :roll:
Last edited by maxpiano on 19 Jun 2017, 12:19, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby MartinJ2EX » 19 Jun 2017, 15:47

@maxpiano

The problem with that is that the D3M doesn't let me configure the Sustain socket to "Sustain" function, only Rotary functions.. :?

I've found a workaround for this problem.. (not as good as program-wise edits, but acceptable)
I'll have to boot D3M to Programming Mode every single time, and then change the MIDI channel to desired value.. eg Organ A - 1 , Piano B - 4 and so on..
Not perfect, but still better than nothing.. :D
Nord Stage 4 88 | Stage 2 EX 88
Numa Organ 2 | DX7 IIFD | JX-08
SL 61mk3 | opsix | UB-Xa

Live Musician since 2010
> My Website <

Sugar Sharks | Hertha Band
MartinJ2EX
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby maxpiano » 19 Jun 2017, 16:28

Strange, on the D3M manual it also shows Sustain as one ofthe options http://www.doepfer.de/pdf/d3m_manual.pdf (page 11, actually two options i.e. 7 and 8 of Footswitch, they only differ in the switch "polarity")
Last edited by maxpiano on 19 Jun 2017, 16:29, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum