Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Re: NS2 and ???

Postby KyleM » 22 Dec 2016, 23:48

I have a Nord Stage 2 SW73 and a week ago added Roland Juno DS88 to practice on at home. It replaced a 60 lb Yamaha S80. Wow, the action is very impressive plus it has some decent samples. I use it to control the Nord and it's really great plus if I decide to gig with it it's only 35lbs. The keybed action is great which makes it fun to practice on;
KyleM

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Postby BuckW » 18 Jun 2017, 12:26

Phoenix Brass for Nord sounds good to me, no personal experience.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=93fDXoWWULw
BuckW

Postby Quai34 » 18 Jun 2017, 16:10

@e6ndave:
It seems that you went with the montage 6 but kept he montage 7, you have both in your signature, am I right?
+1 on the Phoenix brass, it's on my list to buy with the disco strings....
And why not a Roland I terra 7, it's supposed to be the same nine as the Jupiter 80 and other high end Roland right?
I have a XV5080 loaded wth the expansion cards "Brass" and I like it a lot...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby anotherscott » 22 Jun 2017, 05:34

Gustavo wrote:Well, the FA does have about the same engine as the Jupiter 80. If you liked those another option is the Jupiter 50, but I don't know how light it was.

Actually, the FA is pretty different from the Jupiter 80/50.

Strings: The Jupiters have SuperNatural solo strings, but not ensemble strings; the FA is the reverse, it has SuperNatural ensemble strings, but not solo strings. The FA has the older (non-SuperNatural, but still good) strings from the XV-5080 and (downloadable) SRX cards, the Jupiters do not. (The Integra7 has all these things.) Brass: The Jupiters have SuperNatural brass instruments, the FA does not. Though again, the FA has the 5080/SRX brass sounds, the Jupiters do not. They all have the SuperNatural "synth" brass and string sounds, though,

The Jupiter 50 was pretty light, about 24 lbs. There's also an FA-07 coming out, if you prefer the FA to the JP50 but wish it had the 76 keys.

Other lightweight boards that are pretty strong on strings and brass would be the Kurzweil Artis7 (and maybe SP4-7), and Yamaha MOXF6, MX61, MX49. Or if you want to supplement the Nord with a hammer action board, the Yamaha MX88 is light for a HA board.
anotherscott

Postby vibescribe » 15 Jul 2017, 22:46

I also have an NS2 paired with a Roland FA06 which I think covers all the sounds I need and are relatively light and compact. I previously had a Kronos but although I liked the sounds it felt very much overkill for my needs. I didn't have the time/inclination to get the most out of the Kronos. I tried the FA06 and decided the trade the Kronos. The sounds on the FA06 are awesome and then there are the free expansions which are superb. The only issue i have is the keybed in particular the black keys, these take a a bit of getting used to but with practice I have got used to them.
vibescribe

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 15 Jul 2017, 23:27

vibescribe wrote:The only issue i have is the keybed in particular the black keys, these take a a bit of getting used to but with practice I have got used to them.

Besides having more keys, the forthcoming FA-07 apparently also has a better feeling action than the FA-06.
anotherscott

Postby e8ndave » 02 Aug 2017, 02:32

I now only have the Montage 6, but am considering moving that along. I picked up a Yamaha MX-49 which nicely covers strings and horns and weights about 5 pounds. The interface is not great but it has 1000 Motif sounds available and is a very nice instrument for the money. The Montage is something of a bear to haul. It does a lot of really great things but is also a bit buggy in the software portion of things. Had a setlist corrupt on me which is a whole bunch of screwing around to get back in order. We will see.
-Dave
[Nord Stage 3] [Nord Lead A1] [Novation Peak 8] [Deluge] [Cobalt8M] [Base Station II] [PolyBrute] [Subsequent 37]

The author e8ndave was thanked by:
Spider
e8ndave

Postby Spider » 02 Aug 2017, 15:30

I was also considering an MX49 for exactly the same purposes.
Can you give us some real-life report on how its strings, brass etc pair up with Nord's pianos and organs?
Do you use it standalone or play it from the Stage2's Extern section?
How's the expressivity of the AWM2 sounds (I would buy it mostly for that) - is it easy to control them with velocity or do you use expr pedal/mod wheel etc?

Thanks!
:)
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby FlametopFred » 29 Aug 2017, 19:50

I added a Yamaha MU80. Basic horns, strings, accordion, choir, that sort of thing. Works fine. Was cheap. Very small module.
FlametopFred

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX

Postby e8ndave » 31 Aug 2017, 19:39

Spider wrote:I was also considering an MX49 for exactly the same purposes.
Can you give us some real-life report on how its strings, brass etc pair up with Nord's pianos and organs?
Do you use it standalone or play it from the Stage2's Extern section?
How's the expressivity of the AWM2 sounds (I would buy it mostly for that) - is it easy to control them with velocity or do you use expr pedal/mod wheel etc?

Thanks!
:)

Strings and brass are quite nice and pair very well. I use it stand alone mainly today. If it's there anyway, no reason not to use the keyboard. Less programming.

AWM2 sounds the way you describe them are subjective. I like the way it performs, it matches my style. I will say however that I'm not picky about those things so I am not a good one to ask.

I have played with this setup several times now and am still quite happy with it. I also just picked up a Roland Integra-7. The strings and horns are incredible on it. If I can figure out how to work it in and make switching instruments simple, I think that is a real winner. That would get played through Extern. So many possibilities.
-Dave
[Nord Stage 3] [Nord Lead A1] [Novation Peak 8] [Deluge] [Cobalt8M] [Base Station II] [PolyBrute] [Subsequent 37]

The author e8ndave was thanked by:
Spider
e8ndave

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum