Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Nord electro 3 HP weighted action

Postby jgn1230 » 24 Oct 2011, 00:34

I am contemplating the Nord Electro 3 HP. I currently own the Nord Electro 3 73 key. I have experimented by triggering the Nord from the weighted keyboard of a Casio Privia PX3. I have found that the piano is much more enjoyable to play from the Privia weighted keyboard plus it is 88 keys. I don't really want to bring 2 keybords to the gigs. Can anyone tell me how the new HP keyboard compares to the Casio Privia?

Does anyone know if I can purchase a weighted 73 weighted keyboard and install it myself in the my Electro 3? As I am going to take a monetary beating to buy a new Nord 3HP.
Last edited by jgn1230 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
jgn1230

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Nord electro 3 HP weighted action

Sponsor

Re: Nord electro 3 HP weighted action

Postby Hanon_CTS » 24 Oct 2011, 02:02

Hello jgn1230,
Welcome to the forum!

There are some subtle changes in the chassis of the NE3 HP to accommodate the thicker hammer action keybed.
This thicker "taller" keybed would not fit in a standard NE3 73.

Nord instruments hold their value very well on the pre-owned instrument market.
The average price of a pre-owned NE3 73 is $1750
I have seen B stock "returned" NE3 73HP instruments for $2099 "there's one right now on e8ay"
This yields a price difference of $349

I agree that the Casio Privia is a really great workaround solution, but can truly appreciate only taking one board to gigs.

What part of FL are you in?
Have you gotten to know Pablo Mastodon "the Nord rep in the Tampa/ St Pete area" yet?

Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Marlowes » 24 Oct 2011, 07:20

What you expect of the keys, I think, is very personal.

I played the upright piano ("BlueSwede") as a kid. Got a Juno 106 in the 80ies. Bought a PX-3 early this year - just LOVED the keys. Until I heard the sounds of the NORDs = LOVE! And the PX-3 sounds suddenly felt numb. Ordered an E3HP without testing it first. Got very disappointed at the keys themselves. Had already traded in my PX-3, stupid thing to do. But I'm getting more and more used to the action/feeling of the HP. Hoping to be able to buy a NORD piano (tried it now and love it too) next, but will only bring the E3HP to gigs. It's FANTASTIC. Makes me feel like a pro! 8-)
Last edited by Marlowes on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:

The author Marlowes was thanked by:
Hanon_CTS
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby anotherscott » 27 Oct 2011, 06:11

jgn1230 wrote:I am contemplating the Nord Electro 3 HP. I currently own the Nord Electro 3 73 key. I have experimented by triggering the Nord from the weighted keyboard of a Casio Privia PX3. I have found that the piano is much more enjoyable to play from the Privia weighted keyboard plus it is 88 keys. I don't really want to bring 2 keybords to the gigs. Can anyone tell me how the new HP keyboard compares to the Casio Privia?

I think bringing 2 boards to a gig is best, and they're both pretty light, and you can get a very light two tier stand (K&M 18880 plus second tier... moves in one piece, sets up and knocks down fast, under 10 lbs). I agree that the piano plays much better from the weighted board, but if that's all you have, then the organ won't play as well. Plus you'll be dropping down from 88 to 73 keys. Plus you'll lose the ability to use the extra sounds of the second board for layering or splitting with the Nord.

If you want to save some a few hundred dollars, you could get the Casio CDP-100 instead of the PX-3, though the PX-3 has more flexibility as a MIDI controller (you can use its buttons to call up specified presets in the Nord, have them assigned to just a particular range of keys of the 88 split and layered with the Casio's own sounds, etc.).
Last edited by anotherscott on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
Marlowes
anotherscott

Return to Nord Electro Forum