General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 2EX VS Nord Piano 2 Velocity Curve

Postby Jhbackingtracks » 12 Jun 2017, 01:52

I remember when the Nord Piano 2 received a new velocity curve, making it harder to reach the high velocities, and after a while, the Nord Stage 2 & EX received an update which apparently made use of this same curve, making it the default 'off' selection.

Now, I was happy with the Piano 2 velocity curve after this update, but the Stage 2EX Definitely reacts differently, and still reaches the high velocities too soon, despite sharing this same curve (apparently). Could that be just the difference in keybed making it still too easy to reach the higher velocities, even though the curve is the same?

I literally find it impossible to play anything soft and nice, or anything with any real control, especially legato runs, without using something which can convert the MIDI signal to allow me to play softer, It's just such a hassle having to take that extra bit of kit to a gig. I don't even have a massive problem with the key feel, yes it's not as good as the new Nord Piano 3 feel, or say a Roland with ivory feel keys, but I can make it work... when it has a much heavier velocity setting. All that needs to be done is give more control over the velocity curve.

Is there any reason that Nord wouldn't want to make this kind of an update? What does anybody gain from not letting us have either a user custom velocity curve, or a much heavier one for piano use. That would solve the problem many pianists have with the key action of the Stages. It must be one of the most simplest software updates out of all the things some people wish for in an update! ... It would literally bring the piano section to life and let it breath so much.

Who agrees?
Jhbackingtracks

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Nord Stage 2EX VS Nord Piano 2 Velocity Curve

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 2EX VS Nord Piano 2 Velocity Curve

Postby Mr_-G- » 12 Jun 2017, 22:51

I did not have the same experience you describe. It is quite difficult in my NS2 (88 keys) to reach a velocity of 127 with any of the curves available. I checked this with a MIDI monitor program.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Re: Nord Stage 2EX VS Nord Piano 2 Velocity Curve

Postby Jhbackingtracks » 13 Jun 2017, 03:00

Maybe Velocity 127 is the wrong choice of phrase... I just mean, you can get to the highest level of velocity from the piano samples (whatever number that might relate to) way too easily. Compared to the Nord Piano 2, which seems to be more dynamic, even when using the same 'new' velocity curve.
Jhbackingtracks

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Return to Nord Stage Forum