Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

NL4: Non-linear pitchbend response?

Postby cube48 » 15 Dec 2016, 09:07

Hi all, newbie here at the forum. I just got 2nd hand NL4 rack to accompany Linnstrument. Knowing it doesn't respond to Aftertouch, I still thought it's other features might outweigh the lack of it (morph impulse, easy velocity and modwheel assignment etc.). From the first moment I loved the sound of it and overall hands-on approach.
But then I discovered that pitch bend range is not linear for settings of 12 and above. Which is a bummer for Linnstrument's horizontal pitch sliding. It's possible to specify the PB range on Linnstrument in steps 2, 3, 12 and 24 semitones. Every other synth responds with linear PB and aligns with Linnstrument's setting when set to the same value. NL4 PB matches with setting of 2 and 3 but 12 and 24 becomes useless as it is non-linear. :( First octave slide is really 'slow' and then it progresses really 'fast' in second octave (setting of 24). I have no such issue with Nord Modular G2 Engine, which behaves as expected and utilize all Linnstrument's control sources incl. release velocity :thumbup:

Can someone please confirm if this is really like that and it's not just mine unit? Is it another 'musical' feature of Clavia? I gathered from various posts over net that people like Clavia's pitch stick for it's unique response. Is it because of this non-linearity?

I feel little disappointed about it (but not frustrated) and if my assumption gets confirmed I'll probably sell NL4r and try to find NL3r which has even more MPE friendly features and comes from the same design team as NM2 so it should have more standard pitchbend response.

Thanks for any insights!
cube48

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

NL4: Non-linear pitchbend response?

Sponsor

Re: NL4: Non-linear pitchbend response?

Postby Muied Lumens » 15 Dec 2016, 14:28

Yes it is non-linear, and it is because of the pitch stick and its unique response. The NL1 and 2/2X is the same. I have never used the NL3 but I would assume it is non-linear as well, better double check that before you buy it.

I have the same problem when connecting a Haken Continuum. It would be great if the response curve could be switched to linear for MIDI reception. I have thought of creating an inverse curve for the pitch bend data to cancel out the nonliearity but it sounds like a lot of trial and error to me.

The author Muied Lumens was thanked by:
cube48
Muied Lumens

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Postby cube48 » 15 Dec 2016, 15:16

Thanks for your reply, Muied Lumens! Interesting idea with the inverted curve. It would require either computer or something like BomeBox in between.
I'll stick to NMG2E then with it's strictly accurate architecture.
cube48

Postby cube48 » 15 Dec 2016, 22:51

midiPBcurve VST plugin might be the right tool to straighten the pitchbend. If I find the time I'll give it a shot and report back but that might be next year :D
cube48

Postby pablomastodon » 16 Dec 2016, 01:53

BomeBox is the real deal!
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
Marlowes
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Gustavo » 10 Feb 2017, 23:20

I recently acquired both a Linnstrument 128 and a NL4R. Nords aren't very suitable for MPE tasks... Though I would highly recommend you to check out the Waldorf Blofeld. You can make 16 part multis where each part responds to a different midi channel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Synths: Nord Stage 2 SW, Nord Lead 4R, Vintage Vibe 64 Active, Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 6, Korg Volcas
Stand: K&M Spider Pro and Hercules X Stands
Recording: Zoom UAC-8
Speakers: EV ELXP 112-P, Event Alp 5
Gustavo
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby cube48 » 01 Mar 2017, 08:11

Yeah, Blofeld sits on my desk too and is great for MPE.

To follow up on this topic, I sold the NL4R in the end. But I managed to straighten the PB curve of my other synth, Gotharman's anAmoNo X which has logarithmic PB response by creating a patch for Axoloti. It transforms linear PB input exponentially which straightens logarithmic response of synth.

It's cheaper solution than BomeBox if anyone finds this useful.

Cheers!
Last edited by cube48 on 01 Mar 2017, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.
cube48

Postby cube48 » 09 Jun 2017, 12:47

Muied Lumens wrote:Yes it is non-linear, and it is because of the pitch stick and its unique response. The NL1 and 2/2X is the same. I have never used the NL3 but I would assume it is non-linear as well, better double check that before you buy it.

Just got NL3R recently and was so happy to find out that PitchBend response is linear. All 24 semitones up and down are translated nicely, straight from Linnstrument. It seems I finally found my personal MPE sound design holy grail. It's so fast to map MPE modulations on one mono slot, then just copy to other 3 channels and voila, 4 voices of MPE. It's more than sufficient with highly expressive patches :keyboard:

The author cube48 was thanked by:
Muied Lumens
cube48

Postby stiiiiiiive » 09 Jun 2017, 14:28

I think, as said before, that the pitch bending response is due to the pitch stick and not to the processing. NR3 reacts to the MIDI controller you use, but I'm quite sure the NL3 features an exponential response just as the other Nord Leads. By the way, I play a G2 and it has such an exponential response too.

I must say I prefer that response since I'm able to induce very subtle and smooth pitch bending effects, with tiny amplitude and no dead zone. It enables really musical, natural vibratos, just like with a guitar string, for example.

I tried to achieve such effects on a Little Phatty for example: impossible. But controlling the LP with a G2 allows it.

On a side note, I bought a MidiPal kit some months ago and I’m planning to use it as a “synth control enhancer” in two ways:
- Enable duophony on a MIDI, monophonic, 2-oscillator synth
- Change the velocity or pitch bend response curve.
When I stop being lazy at soldering and coding, I may report :)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on 09 Jun 2017, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Minkovski FB
Toxic Overdrive Deezer
DNOT Deezer FB

The author stiiiiiiive was thanked by:
Muied Lumens
stiiiiiiive

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum