Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

EQ disturbs routing

Postby eibinger » 05 May 2017, 10:09

Using the routing of the R-/L-channel of my Nord5D I recognized, that the EQ disturbs this option.
I route the organ-signal via channel L to my Neo-Ventilator and the other signals (piano or synth) via channel R to a dry mixer-channel.
Switching on the eq for both channels (UP and LO LED on), the routing is disturbed and the piano-voice appears on L and R.
Switching off (UP + LO) or switching only UP or LO, the routing works in the right way.
Are there any ideas?

Thanks
Thomas
eibinger

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

EQ disturbs routing

Sponsor

Re: EQ disturbs routing

Postby anotherscott » 06 May 2017, 23:10

Yes, that's the way it works, as has been discussed in multiple threads in the past. See for example:

post66871.html?hilit=pablo%20eq#p66871

As I understand it, the issue is that there is only one (stereo) EQ unit in the Electro. Once you send, for example, a stereo piano into it and the organ sound into it, the piano and organ sound are effectively merged into a single stereo output, and it is no longer possible to send piano to one side and organ to the other.

In theory, since the split output configuration means everything will be mono anyway, it seems like it should have been theoretically possible for the split output function to also enable reducing the stereo piano to mono before going into (one side of) the EQ, leaving the other side of the EQ free for the organ... but they didn't design it that way.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
pablomastodon
anotherscott

Postby eibinger » 07 May 2017, 11:09

ok, thanks a lot for your explanation!
My former hammond sk-1 was organized in a better way: it was possible zu route the organ-sound via the leslie-port (with special cable) and the extra-voices via the (stereo) plugs.
Attachments
sk1.JPG
sk1.JPG (14.73 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
eibinger

Postby pablomastodon » 12 May 2017, 10:55

If you choose one or the other part to assign to EQ only, instead of both parts, your audio output routing scheme will remain undisturbed.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby eibinger » 12 May 2017, 13:14

Thanks, pablomastodon, I wrote this in the beginning of the post. But this makes so sense. To avoid a mistake by not-using a feature.
eibinger

Postby pablomastodon » 06 Jun 2017, 07:29

I was merely trying to clarify how it works, not so much for your benefit (since you obviously had that figured out already), but to restate this in simpler terms for others who may be searching for an answer in the future...the longer and more detailed explanation is included in the other thread referenced above

I disagree with your characterization, though. It's not "avoid(ing) a mistake by not using a feature" at all. There are design choices which necessarily have to be made when the instrument is built. Engaging PERCUSSION on a Hammond disables the ninth drawbar. Outputs 3&4 on Stage models do not get reverb. Etc., etc. Sometimes some features will overlap other features in this way, forcing the player to make choices based on priority.

My first electric instruments, Farfisa Combo Compact in the mid-70's and Fender Rhodes in the late 70's, did not have built-in f/x. Same for the JX-8P in the mid-80's. I'm not saying that your viewpoint is wrong, but explaining where my viewpoint comes from. So if the NE5 has only one internal EQ module and I have a need to split output routing AND EQ both sides, I am not upset at the prospect of needing an outboard EQ to handle that function. More likely I will decide to pick which of the two voices has the stronger need for the EQ and run the other send sans EQ (andsave that money for something else).

bless, pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Electro Forum