Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Does active sub and 2 studio monitors connect directly to P3

Postby marcoose » 05 Mar 2017, 17:41

Really quick question: how do I connect an active sub and 2 x Yamaha HS7 into NP3?

I am considering buying the keyboard but just wondered if the 3 speakers will plugin direct or whether I need to go through an amp.

Cheers!
marcoose

Does active sub and 2 studio monitors connect directly to P3

Sponsor

Re: Does active sub and 2 studio monitors connect directly t

Postby SteveNordP3 » 06 Mar 2017, 04:34

Hello - I'm not familiar with your particular Yamah speakers but generally the word "active" means they have amplifiers in them already. Do your user manuals describe whether they can accept an unbalanced line input directly? If you don't still have your user manuals, you may be able to google and download them. I'm inclined to think it should work - I could plug directly in to my Mackie powered speakers. Good luck!
Last edited by SteveNordP3 on 06 Mar 2017, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby cphollis » 06 Mar 2017, 04:53

Since I don't know your setup, or application (home use, live gigging, etc.) there's going to be some guessing here.

If your sub has a pass-through EQ (e.g. filters all the low frequencies for local processing, passes through the rest) that could work. Especially if it has stereo channels like the Behringer BD1200-pro. If not, then you'll need a crossover of some sort to send the right frequencies to the right device.

Regardless, consider a small mixer between your keyboard (any brand) and your amplification setup.

Tell us more, we can then tell you more.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby mikep » 19 Apr 2017, 15:28

Hi marcoose. I use HS7s and although I run my stuff through a Samson SM10 first, you can go straight from the keyboard to the HS7s. Like cphollis said, if your sub is designed to work as a pass-through in front of the monitors (like a HS8S), then yes you can go straight into the sub. I use a line mixer because I'm using multiple keyboards.

mikep
mikep

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Postby Alicja » 28 May 2017, 12:36

Hi Folks

Also looking for some advice as I really know nothing about speakers and am just after a wonderful grand piano like sound.

I bought the Nord Piano 3 and a pair of Neumann KH 120 monitor speakers and they really sound wonderful. There is also a Neumann KH810 or KH805 sub woofer that is available. I wanted a grand piano but could not afford it and have space limitations and I think the Nord piano 3 beats the sound of most upright pianos I played upto the $20000 range through the right speaker/ headphones set up due to the piano library.

Can I connect all three speakers directly to my Nord 3 piano or do I need other equipment.
What would be the benefit of adding a subwoofer can somebody please explain?
Thanks in advance
Alicja

Postby SteveNordP3 » 31 May 2017, 01:53

Alicja wrote:Hi Folks

Also looking for some advice as I really know nothing about speakers and am just after a wonderful grand piano like sound.

I bought the Nord Piano 3 and a pair of Neumann KH 120 monitor speakers and they really sound wonderful. There is also a Neumann KH810 or KH805 sub woofer that is available. I wanted a grand piano but could not afford it and have space limitations and I think the Nord piano 3 beats the sound of most upright pianos I played upto the $20000 range through the right speaker/ headphones set up due to the piano library.

Can I connect all three speakers directly to my Nord 3 piano or do I need other equipment.
What would be the benefit of adding a subwoofer can somebody please explain?
Thanks in advance

Assuming your Neumann monitors and subwoofer are "powered" - meaning, they have amplifiers built in to them, you should be fine connecting the Nord to these speakers directly. If not, you'll need some form of amplifier.

As for the benefits of a subwoofer, it's a bit like listening to a rock tune on an old am transistor radio and going to a concert to hear the same thing. That's overly dramatic for effect but if you get a chance to listen to the setup both ways, you'll see for yourself. Good luck!

The author SteveNordP3 was thanked by:
Alicja
SteveNordP3

Postby Quai34 » 31 May 2017, 12:09

Hi,
When I bought my Genelec 8040A, the Neumann were just released. I hesitated but thought the Neumann, due to the smaller speakers (6.5 " I think, right! We're lacking a bit of bass, then adding a Sub will give you that extra low end. It also depends on your room. Mine is acoustically treated with two Primacoutic kits and then, the low end limit at 48Hz was enough for me and very well managed, then I decided not to buy a Sub. The other reason is that I was not planning to mix EDM or Drum 'n' bass music and my room is only 3.5 meters X 2.5, too small in my opinion for a Sub with the music I play.
Finally, both outputs of your Nord Piano have to go to each Studio Monitor, and from one Monitor, you should have a link to go to a Sub, you just have to switch at the back of the monitor the selection switch to Sub: the internal crossover will do the work for you in cutting bass form your monitor at a frequency determined by the manufacturer, maybe 80 Hz?
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.

The author Quai34 was thanked by:
Alicja
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Alicja » 14 May 2018, 15:37

Hi guys I have posted before and here is an update, I have a pair of kh120 and they work great, however when I connect them up to the kh810 which I got today, they still work but the kh810 does not , all sounds continue to go through just to the kh120 monitors, what am I doing wrong? I have switched the active bass management switch on and off and it’s made no difference. What is going on. Do I have a dud kh810.
Alicja

Postby Alicja » 21 May 2018, 14:28

The KH810 has been replaced and the new still does not play. Is it some setting on the speaker?

Does anybody have the kh810 on the nord ?
Alicja

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum