Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Normal Volume

Postby waifu slave » 24 May 2017, 05:21

Hi everyone, I am beginner at learning piano and have been practicing on a NP2. I just started taking piano lessons once every week on a grand piano and I noticed immediately a pretty significant difference in how it feels to press the keys, the issue is further compounded by the fact the Nord has a volume knob. Is there a recommended volume level to match that of a real piano to minimize the difference when playing something in 'forte' or 'pp'. The speakers I use are the Yamaha HS5.
I also hope that practicing daily on the NP2 is going to be ok.
Last edited by waifu slave on 24 May 2017, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
waifu slave

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Normal Volume

Sponsor

Re: Normal Volume

Postby pterm » 31 May 2017, 00:32

Since the HS5 has a Level control too, the setting is entirely arbitrary and depends on speaker positions, and the reflections and absorption in the room(s) too.

Here's an idea:
If you have a sound level meter, measure the sound level from the piano near your ears and then adjust the Nord+HS5 to match (for similar key force/velocity). There are free sound level meter apps for smartphones.

I believe the Nord sets its levels digitally so I suggest turning the Nord's gain/volume up to around 8. This does two things: It allows the HS5 to be kept at a lower setting so should minimize amplified noise. It also gives some room to fine-tune the level (up or down)from the Nord as you play.

Additionally, the Nord pianos have different dynamic response curves (different key velocities used when sampling the pianos --I think this is called "Keyboard Touch" on NP2), so you might want to try those also and find the one that sounds/feels best to you.

Good luck - and let us know if this works or not so others can benefit from your experience.
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum