Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Sound manager rocks!

Postby Lee Batchelor » 11 May 2017, 21:50

Hi team,

Just setting up my 5D for a big show. Just wanted to say how nice it is to have the Sound Manager. You can certainly do everything with the 5D, but it takes much longer. We've undergone three set list changes in the past few days. I just plug the 5D into my computer, open the Sound Manager, and then start dragging Programs where they belong. (We practice at my place, so I still have access to my computer.)

Keep up the great work, Nord!
Lee Batchelor

Sound manager rocks!

Sponsor

Re: Sound manager rocks!

Postby sveltefox » 12 May 2017, 00:13

I agree. The app is very responsive and helpful, especially when you have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor all set up near the 5D like I do in my home studio.

I'll air a small gripe, however, and hope for this functionality in a future version: I wish you could "shift" the position of an individual program/sample in the list as easily from Sound Manager as you can from the 5D.

Granted, while in "Organize Mode" in Sound Manager, it's easy to swap single items with one another, as well as move lots of items at a time to an empty space. I've got no problem with this functionality. However, nothing in Sound Manager replaces the "pick up an item, make space for it over here, and drop it there" that the reorder functionality on the 5D's interface has (let's call it a "splice").

I like to keep my programs and samples logically grouped and ordered, and when adding a new one in, I end up either having to switch to the 5D to splice the item into the right place, or perform a multi-step process in Sound Manager where I drag around groups of items to make room first.

Would be great if holding down ALT or something could change the "swap items" dragging behavior of Sound Manager in favor of the "splice" behavior.
Last edited by sveltefox on 12 May 2017, 00:15, edited 2 times in total.
sveltefox

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Lee Batchelor » 12 May 2017, 02:46

Good points. It seems no matter what we receive from developers, we can always think of more features we need. Smart developers listen to their audience! Perhaps some day :).
Lee Batchelor

Postby rswift73 » 20 May 2017, 17:58

I would add a second vote for a "splice" or insert function to shift all patches down.
rswift73

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Quai34 » 21 May 2017, 01:22

"where I drag around groups of items to make room first."
Yes, I do that all the time, it doesn't bother me though...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Lee Batchelor » 21 May 2017, 03:25

The Insert function in an operating system has been around since the DOS days. I can never understand why developers (and the management who pull developers' strings) just don't sit for five minutes and fix the easy stuff - or is adding Insert a major code rewrite?? Hard to believe.
Lee Batchelor

Postby NightSkyStudio » 21 May 2017, 14:24

Think about it for a minute ... you insert a space into a bank with 100 programs in it. Now you have 101 programs, but that doesn't fit. What should happen? Should Program Manager simply delete a program? Which one? Would you be happy if it deleted a program you worked hard on and needed? Or should it ask you what to do? What would you be willing to do?

These are known as requirements and use cases in the software development world. They can take some thinking to get right, and even then there's always someone whose needs aren't met.

Just something to think about.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks,
Tom

Nord Stage 2, Rev B. OS 2.24, Yamaha MOXF6
NightSkyStudio

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Lee Batchelor » 21 May 2017, 14:31

Excellent point, NightSkyStudio! For sure, the developer would need to write the code so that when the bank has reached its limit, a warning dialog box appears that reads something like, "The Bank limit is reached. Before inserting a new Program, you must delete one old Program." I believe that's about three lines of code in VBA or C++ :) Doesn't sound too complicated, however, you're right - someone has to think about all the possible scenarios. The code is easy. All possible scenarios are difficult!
Lee Batchelor

Postby sveltefox » 23 May 2017, 15:34

@Lee Batchelor @NightSkyStudio I think you're missing my point by a little (though I am myself a programmer and appreciate technical limitations and the nuances of good UI/UX).

The functionality I'm seeking is already in the 5D natively. I just wish the Sound Manager replicated it. I don't wish to insert new programs in place; I want to quickly (in one action) move an existing one to a new place.
Last edited by sveltefox on 23 May 2017, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
sveltefox

Postby Lee Batchelor » 23 May 2017, 15:57

Yep, I missed that. Thanks for clarifying it, sveltefox. To be honest, I haven't used the 5D functions for re-arranging Programs - just the Sound Manager. Even with it's limitations, the Sound Manager is very slick.
Lee Batchelor

Return to Nord Electro Forum