Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Compressor mode question

Postby Lee Batchelor » 22 May 2017, 14:57

Hi team,
I played a show yesterday where I used the B3 sounds and Rotary Speaker effect. When I went high or low in the register, the organ got really loud. I understand that a Compressor levels out those annoying peaks, but how do you use the Rotary Effect and Compressor at the same time on the 5D? Perhaps my playing technique is at fault? Ideas welcome :)! Thanks.

EDIT: I just read the manual and it appears that the Compressor kicks in as you rotate the knob? I assumed it would increase the Drive, which I don't want. (The B3 default sound already has too much "dirt and distortion" for my liking.)
Last edited by Lee Batchelor on 22 May 2017, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Batchelor

Compressor mode question

Sponsor

Re: Compressor mode question

Postby benny ray » 22 May 2017, 15:45

Do you use a expression pedal or volume pedal? The organ bites more in the upper register but most true organ players use a volume pedal.

Could be your technique but do you split the organ for L/U drawbars? If you do you can change the volume with the knob for upper and lower drawbars.

Confused yet but the organ when you go up in the upper register seems to have a shrill that is loud.

You have to be careful in the upper register I have a cutoff point where I try not get on the high hot keys too much.

For me I don't need dirt either the Nord has enough already at low volumes.

Hope this helps!
benny ray

Postby Lee Batchelor » 22 May 2017, 18:03

Great advice Benny Ray...thanks. I am very new to the B3 technique and believe it's a real skill in itself. I have an FC7 Yamaha pedal I can use. I don't split the U/L draw bars. Are you suggesting that I do? Sounds like it could be a good idea. I don't know the difference between a Volume and Expression pedal. I always thought they were the same. Perhaps the Expression pedal varies the Rotary effect and the Volume pedal is...well..just volume :)? Thanks again.
Lee Batchelor

Postby benny ray » 23 May 2017, 00:55

I usually split the drawbars myself. It is like playing a real Hammond when you split the drawbars. Not for all songs but I use it alot cause I grew up playing a Hammond organ w/leslie.

Try for lower 888000043
Try for upper 888800000
I usually split the keyboard at Middle C or somewhere close.
All this is subjective but this works really well for me.
Good luck
benny ray

Postby Bassics101 » 23 May 2017, 02:04

Expression and volume pedals are different, and the 5D uses an expression pedal to control the volume of the organ. Here, the volume is more like an effect. An expression pedal can also be used to control effects (think wah controller), which a volume pedal cannot. You cannot vary the rotary effect, other than on/off or fast/slow without going into the settings. Volume pedals usually work off the line output. I use a Boss pedal that can be either. Note, volume pedals come in high or low impedance models for instruments with different output strengths, guitar vs keyboard, respectively, but the expression controller is the same circuitry in both versions.

A compressor would even out transient high volume peaks. Smoothing out the dynamics. I'm not sure what this would do on an organ, maybe soften the percussion if on?

Hope this helps.
Bassics101

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Lee Batchelor » 23 May 2017, 14:38

Thanks for the great info guys! I plug my FC7 pedal into the Control Pedal port on the rear panel. I can vary the B3 overall volume with it. I use a Roland foot switch for turning the Leslie on and off. It's plugged into the Rotor Pedal port. The sustain pedal for piano is plugged into the Sustain Pedal port.

I shall give your ideas a try. The good news is, the guys and gals in the band love the sound of my new Nord!
Lee Batchelor

Postby Lee Batchelor » 16 Jun 2017, 16:37

Benny Ray...just getting around to trying your suggestion of splitting the Upper and Lower keyboard into two different draw bar organ settings. I can't figure out how to do that?? of course, the manual is pathetic. I have split the Nord at C4. Instructions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by Lee Batchelor on 16 Jun 2017, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Batchelor

Postby pterm » 16 Jun 2017, 18:42

Lee Batchelor wrote:Thanks for the great info guys! I plug my FC7 pedal into the Control Pedal port on the rear panel. I can vary the B3 overall volume with it. I use a Roland foot switch for turning the Leslie on and off. It's plugged into the Rotor Pedal port. The sustain pedal for piano is plugged into the Sustain Pedal port.

There's also an option to make the Sustain pedal work as a Leslie Fast/Slow control when in organ mode.
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby Lee Batchelor » 17 Jun 2017, 00:45

Hey, thanks pterm! Didn't know that. Doing so would eliminate the need for an extra foot switch.
Lee Batchelor

Postby Bassics101 » 17 Jun 2017, 00:49

Lee Batchelor wrote:Benny Ray...just getting around to trying your suggestion of splitting the Upper and Lower keyboard into two different draw bar organ settings. I can't figure out how to do that?? of course, the manual is pathetic. I have split the Nord at C4. Instructions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Activate split mode, put both upper and lower on organ. Preset one will set drawbars for lower, preset 2 for higher. That should do it. Not at board to test, so I hope I didn't forget anything...
Bassics101

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Return to Nord Electro Forum