General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 2 EX Headphone Output Question

Postby sabbath09 » 03 May 2017, 23:13

Hi Everybody,
1st post here...
I've been reading the manual trying to figure out if there's a way to not hear the Nord's output sound through the headphone jack. I don't think it's possible so as a last resort I'm here hoping somebody might know. Basically, I'm using the Nord's monitor in to route an in ear monitor mix which my soundman is sending into my Nord Stage 2 EX. I plug my in ear monitors into the Nord's headphone jack and hear my in ear mix along with my Nord Piano's sound. The problem is our sound guy applies effects and processing which is crucial to our sound at the mixing board. Therefore, I only want to hear the mix he's sending me rather than a combination of that and what's coming straight out of the Nord. Is there any way to not route the Nord's output automatically to the headphone jack? If not, I would hope Nord would implement this feature in the future. I'm trying to avoid having to carry a seperate headphone amp around if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!
:keyboard:
sabbath09

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Nord Stage 2 EX Headphone Output Question

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 2 EX Headphone Output Question

Postby maxpiano » 04 May 2017, 07:15

I am sorry but imho what you ask make no sense: the headphone output is there exactly to be used with the internal sounds adding the monitor in to them; the problem you have is due to the fact that you are sending to the "monitor in" the full mix which includes again your NS and this is where it is wrong.

You have two alternatives:
1) Ask the soundman to create an aux mix for you which does not include the keyboards and if possible also exclude the effects.

2) (preferred) use a small personal mixer for your headphones monitoring, to balance what you get back from the main and the NS (headphones Output)

or... use an adaptor and just plug your headphones directly into the mix you get from the soundman...
Last edited by maxpiano on 05 May 2017, 07:12, edited 5 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby sabbath09 » 05 May 2017, 02:42

maxpiano wrote:I am sorry but imho what you ask make no sense: the headphone output is there exactly to be used with the internal sounds adding teh monitor in to them; the problem you have is due to the fact that you are sending to the "monitor in" the full mix which includes again your NS and this is where it is wrong.

You have two alternatives:
1) Ask the soundman to create an aux mix for you which does not include the keyboards and if possible also exclude teh effects.

2) (preferred) use a small personal mixer for your headphones monitoring, to balance what you get back from the main and the NS (headphones Output)

or... use and adaptor and just plug your headphones directly into the mix you get from the soundman...

I get how it makes no sense. After all, the headphone jack is primarily there for you to monitor your Nord Piano... but if Nord gave you an option to not route your piano's output to the headphone jack it would allow it to almost act like a headphone amp for your in ear mix. Oh well. Glad I know now. Thanks anyway.
sabbath09

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby hijlko » 15 May 2017, 00:01

I read in another thread that output 3+4 do not end up in the headphone jack. Cannot check if that's true but if it is than just route everything to 3+4.
hijlko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage EX

Postby maxpiano » 15 May 2017, 08:20

hijlko wrote:I read in another thread that output 3+4 do not end up in the headphone jack. Cannot check if that's true but if it is than just route everything to 3+4.

That is correct but on 3+4 you lose the common effects (Leslie, Compressor, Reverb)
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby hijlko » 17 May 2017, 23:43

Right... Not an option then I guess....
hijlko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage EX

Return to Nord Stage Forum