Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: NP3 velocity inconsistencies

Postby Mr_-G- » 19 Apr 2017, 21:56

I can suggest 2 tests:
1) Record the MIDI output or try to use a MIDI Monitor program. Then check the velocity values. Maybe the kbd sensors have some dirt/dust that is altering the velocity encoding (which is done via the difference of timing of the closing the sensors).

2) generate with a sequencer notes that have the same velocity and play them via MIDI with that piano sound. That way you know that the velocity is fixed.

Another possibility is that the sample has an uneven level (I wonder if this happens more commonly with the small sample sets, when they map several keys to the same sample).
You could try deleting that sample and loading a different one (a larger version of it).
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Postby Magical01 » 10 May 2017, 01:41

Just to add my two pence worth. I checked my np3 as well after watching your vid and I do not have the same variation in tone/timbre. Hope you can get it fixed.
Regards.
Magical01

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby Ben E Factor » 01 Jan 2018, 20:37

Noticed some velocity inconsistencies on Italian Grand XL, on G#. The two adjacent black keys are fine but G# seems quite low on volume when pressed equally. Grand imperial and Bright Grand are fine in that respect. It would be nice if Clavia would somehow manage to introduce in new os option to manually adjust the velocities on all notes.
https://i.imgur.com/Aa6JJ08.jpg
I presume those inconsistencies are what clavia explains as "The individual Fatar keybeds are meticulously calibrated (by the stoned technician) at the Nord factory to ensure an "even" response over the whole range.
┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓
Ben E Factor

Postby Ben E Factor » 05 Jan 2018, 21:18

And the note half step up, from already mentioned one, "A", is noticeably louder than two adjacent white notes when pressed with equal force on Italian Grand. Too bad since its my favorite grand. Sloppy work from Clavia, unacceptable for such an expensive instrument. Can somebody else confirm my findings or is me the only case?
Ben E Factor

Postby Mr_-G- » 05 Jan 2018, 23:31

If it is only for that piano sample, then it is a sample "feature". Virtually all acoustic instruments samples have their idiosyncrasies, like real instruments.
Same with the pedal noise, in an ideal world it should not be there... yet some people rave about it because it makes it closer to the real, imperfect, thing.
I find the stretched tuning of the CP80 to be distracting (lower keys sound a bit out of tune), but that is how the real ones are tuned (and there is a reason for that), so I live with it.

If the difference in volume of a key happens were present in all the piano samples, then you have a problem of dirt in the contacts. (I do not think it is the case according to your comment).
Last edited by Mr_-G- on 05 Jan 2018, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_-G-

Postby Ben E Factor » 27 Jan 2018, 01:41

I dont think this is sample "feature" its more like a flaw in design, someone didnt pay attention when mapping these keys/velocities or something. Imagine a fazzioli with few keys louder or quieter from the others, no way, its not a bar piano. And in my opinion its something that is easily fixable, there would need to be some kind of editor for every key velocity or something like that. So if guys at Clavia fail to notice these kind discrepancies at least user would be able to fix them.
Ben E Factor

Postby Mr_-G- » 27 Jan 2018, 10:58

Please post a recording so others can give a more informed opinion.
Mr_-G-

Postby baekgaard » 27 Jan 2018, 12:17

Ben E Factor wrote:And the note half step up, from already mentioned one, "A", is noticeably louder than two adjacent white notes when pressed with equal force on Italian Grand. Too bad since its my favorite grand. Sloppy work from Clavia, unacceptable for such an expensive instrument. Can somebody else confirm my findings or is me the only case?

Since no-one else has confirmed this, it could be just you -- or at least, some issue with your particular instrument :-)

If the keybed calibration is somehow incorrect, it would be possible that there is some unevenness in your instrument that others don't see/notice. Have you tried to record the MIDI from the instrument, to check if the keys send out the same MIDI velocity value when you think they should? And have you tried sending MIDI to the instrument at identical velocities to check if the problem is with the samples?

If you think it is not a sample issue, it must be an instrument issue -- possibly only in your instrument, if the calibration somehow failed.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby rogge » 09 Sep 2019, 16:24

Hi all
I am facing the same issue with my NS3. After two years after the purchase (it was brand new) I had to change the keybed because of loud mechanical noise. Since then I'm having the same issue of inconsistence in sound an brightness in one key (E flat 3). This must be the readon of a lacking calibration because if the new keybed which was replaced by the local dealer - but obviously without re-calibrating it. I am going to try to replace the whole instrument.
rogge

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby ACCORDIONMAN » 10 Sep 2019, 22:22

rojaz wrote:Just bought a brand new NP3 and first thing I noticed was that some notes sound different than their neighbours when played equally hard. Even though it could be described as "louder", the difference is mostly in timbre, some notes sound mellower than the next one. Is this the way it should be? I'd think not.

Don't worry my friend, I would bet money that it is a fault - I had the same thing on my NE5 straight out of the box. Probably either dust/dirt in contacts or some miscalibration. My advice - don't accept it - return it for another one. The shop assistant where I bought mine tried to fob me off that it was supposed to be like that - fortunately I'm not a complete idiot! Got a replacement unit - was perfect.

Good luck - don't try and fix it yourself.

There's a thread here - nord-electro-forum-f9/ne5d-keyboard-problem-t12775.html
ACCORDIONMAN
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum