General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Touch sensitivity on Samples

Postby latinvibekeyz » 05 May 2017, 08:04

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the Nord world. I have a Nord Stage 2 ex Compact.

After I do the whole deal of mapping ect play around with the attack and release I get to get my new sounds to sound as original as I could but most of them have no sensativity and you hear it more abvios on sounds like piano... Am I missing a step ?

Thank you for your time, any help would be useful for me .

Art
Last edited by latinvibekeyz on 05 May 2017, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
latinvibekeyz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Touch sensitivity on Samples

Sponsor

Re: Touch sensitivity on Samples

Postby maxpiano » 05 May 2017, 08:22

You may want to enable "ModEnv Velocity" and/or "AmpEnv Velocity" switches, they are shifted functions you can see on the upper-right area of the Synth panel (read the manual's Synth section for details)
Last edited by maxpiano on 05 May 2017, 08:24, edited 5 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 05 May 2017, 12:38

There is no way to make the pianos themselves velocity-sensitive.

Velocity layering is one of the big wish-list points for Nord. Only their in-house piano samples can do that. Sadly, we have no way to generate our own at this point.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 05 May 2017, 17:07

analogika wrote:There is no way to make the pianos themselves velocity-sensitive.

Velocity layering is one of the big wish-list points for Nord. Only their in-house piano samples can do that. Sadly, we have no way to generate our own at this point.

There are kind of two different issues there. Custom samples *are* velocity senstive as maxpiano described... you can have their level and/or brightnes change with velocity. However, your second sentence is right, you cannot trigger entirely different samples at different velocities when assembling your own custom samples (only Nord's own piano library samples support that), nor can you even get around that by triggering the two slots differently based on velocity, though I have had the thought that one could do that by setting Local Off, going MIDI Out into a box that will send velocity below some amount to one slot and above that amount to the other (something like a MIDI Solutions Event Processor, or it could also probably be done with an iPad app) and then back into the Nord. But it just seemed like it was more trouble than it was worth.
anotherscott

Postby maxpiano » 05 May 2017, 19:22

anotherscott wrote:tyou cannot trigger entirely different samples at different velocities when assembling your own custom samples (only Nord's own piano library samples support that), nor can you even get around that by triggering the two slots differently based on velocity, though I have had the thought that one could do that by setting Local Off, going MIDI Out into a box that will send velocity below some amount to one slot and above that amount to the other (something like a MIDI Solutions Event Processor, or it could also probably be done with an iPad app) and then back into the Nord. But it just seemed like it was more trouble than it was worth.

Yes that workaround would do the trick but you need also to track&route the NoteOff messages and in general it is hard to manage particularly if you want a per-Program threshold; it would be so easy for Nord to implement a basic Slot Velocity Switching though... they could/should have done it in the NS3 at least, instead :thumbdown: ...
Last edited by maxpiano on 05 May 2017, 19:27, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Duplobaustein » 06 May 2017, 12:13

They need to spare a few features for the NS4. ;)
Duplobaustein

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Postby hector space » 09 May 2017, 13:37

It's hard to believe that in 2017, 6 years after the launch of the Stage 2, Nord still haven't provided user sampling that enables velocity switched samples and release samples. My view is the Stage 3 ought to have done away with the division between piano sample memory and user sample memory and instead provided a single unified sample memory that can hold existing user samples, library sample sets and piano sample sets And allow user samples sets to include both velocity switched layers and release samples (like the piano sample sets have). Stuff that Kurzweil has been providing for years!
Limiting user sample sets to a single sample layer really destroys the possibilities of serious articulation in the synth section on the stage. Something that using both slots cannot really makeup for.
Without this type of rethink, the Stage 3 is an expensive red elephant! :facepalm:
Last edited by hector space on 09 May 2017, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
hector space

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Stage Forum