General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Slot A + Slot B = issue

Postby LudovicVDP » 28 Apr 2017, 23:56

Hi all,

I'm trying to have a pad with brass and strings. Strings on slot A. Brass on slot B.

When I play slot A only, going from one chord to the next goes smoothly
When I play slot B only, going from one chord to the next goes smoothly
When I'm playing slot A + slot B, changing chords kind of cuts the sounds in beetween :wtf: :oops:

In the MP3 you'll hear what I mean.
First sequence = strings on Slot A. All smooth.
Second sequence = brass on slot B. Exact same thing played. All smooth as well.
Third sequence = all together. Exact same thing played. -> :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Not the first time I have this problem (basically almost everytime I'm using two different synth together)
I first thought "polyphony issue". But I'm only using 4 notes x 2 slots = 8 notes. And no unison.
It can't be that, right??

Thanks.
Ludovic

Attachments
Numb_issue.mp3
(622.7 KiB) Downloaded 3185 times
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Slot A + Slot B = issue

Sponsor

Re: Slot A + Slot B = issue

Postby anotherscott » 29 Apr 2017, 00:52

LudovicVDP wrote:I first thought "polyphony issue". But I'm only using 4 notes x 2 slots = 8 notes. And no unison.

Yeah, possibly it can.

The tail end of your first chord (as it fades out after you release) extends over the beginning of your second chord. That means that, even though each chord is only 4 notes, you have a short period of time where 8 notes are playing, as the first 4 note chord continues to fade after you've already played the second 4 note chord. So i those moments (which are, in fact, the exact moments you're talking about, where you hear the abrupt shift), you are using 8 notes x 2 slots = 16 notes. Now, I'm not sure about this part, but if those sounds are both stereo samples, it could be requiring 32 notes of polyphony. So that would exceed the allotment of 18. Assuming you are using sample based sounds, maybe try using a synth waveform based brass and string sound, instead of a sample based one, since those are mono, at least as an experiment, to eliminate the variable of a stereo sample using up the polyphony at double the rate. The waveform stuff should all be mono.
Last edited by anotherscott on 30 Apr 2017, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
LudovicVDP
anotherscott

Postby LudovicVDP » 30 Apr 2017, 13:27

Thank you very much for your reply.
Indeed I hadn't thought about stereo/mono.

That being said, even if the maths make sense, I would not have thought that 4 notes chords could be a problem.
Another thing I'll have to find a way around for, like the seamless transition or the program change by foot.

There is always a solution... but I must say that it's a bit of a disappointment... and another reason to wait for the NS3 to be out.
Don't want to drop Nord for, lets say, Kronos, because I love the simplicity and the sound of it. So intuitive. But...

I'll try using waveform like you said, for my curiosiy. Otherwise I'll resample the thing in one new sample.

Thanks again.
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby varignet » 04 May 2017, 15:06

anotherscott wrote:
LudovicVDP wrote:I first thought "polyphony issue". But I'm only using 4 notes x 2 slots = 8 notes. And no unison.

Yeah, possibly it can.

The tail end of your first chord (as it fades out after you release) extends over the beginning of your second chord. That means that, even though each chord is only 4 notes, you have a short period of time where 8 notes are playing, as the first 4 note chord continues to fade after you've already played the second 4 note chord. So i those moments (which are, in fact, the exact moments you're talking about, where you hear the abrupt shift), you are using 8 notes x 2 slots = 16 notes. Now, I'm not sure about this part, but if those sounds are both stereo samples, it could be requiring 32 notes of polyphony. So that would exceed the allotment of 18. Assuming you are using sample based sounds, maybe try using a synth waveform based brass and string sound, instead of a sample based one, since those are mono, at least as an experiment, to eliminate the variable of a stereo sample using up the polyphony at double the rate. The waveform stuff should all be mono.

is it really true that stereo samples use double the amount of polyphony compared to mono samples? really?
Nord Lead A1, Korg Trinity 76 Pro, Kawai MP7SE, Guitars, Ukes
varignet

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Postby anotherscott » 04 May 2017, 15:21

varignet wrote:is it really true that stereo samples use double the amount of polyphony compared to mono samples? really?

I don't know about the Nord in particular, but that's generally the way it works. Basically, "polyphony" = "how many tones can be playing simultaneously." When you press a key and trigger a stereo sample, you are generating two different tones, the one that was recorded for the left channel and the one that was recorded for the right channel. The mystery to me is why Nord pianos have polyphony of 40 in stereo but 60 in mono, where one figure is not exactly double (or half) the other. They're doing something unusual. Every other instrument where I've seen a mono/stereo spec yields exactly double the number of notes in mono as it does in stereo, which logically makes sense, as the same total number of different tones are being generated whether you play, say, 16 stereo sounds or 32 mono ones.
anotherscott

Postby aureliopenna » 28 Jan 2018, 17:06

A mistery to me too..
aureliopenna

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum