Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Solo Piano - Cocktail Hour - Best Sound?

Postby danrv » 22 Apr 2017, 11:10

Looks like the Royal Grand 3D is popular. I've been using the Silver Grand XL size for general use and have it EQ'd for my speakers.
I'd like to try the Royal 3D just out of curiosity. Shame I can't load both into my Stage 2 to compare as I also have the Grand Upright loaded which I really like.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland XP80, Yamaha P140, Yamaha PSR2000 , 2 x Yamaha DXR10, Roland KC150, Toa D3 line mixer, Quiklok 2 tier X stand.
danrv

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Postby Gambold » 01 May 2017, 16:46

Cocktail piano on an upright - doesn't seem right. Blues or country, yes. But a good cocktail lounge will have a grand in the corner - maybe with a chanteuse slinking on the top of it in a little black dress.
Gambold

Postby horowizard » 13 Feb 2019, 02:51

I get just about anything I need from the Bösendorfer Grand Imperial. It's very full bodied and robust but may not be right for somebody else. In certain situations such as a very resonant room or playing with a Bassist I cut the Low End.

What it really comes down to is what works for you and what your personal style pulls out of the instrument. Are you in a noisy environment or is it very calm and subdued? Do you mainly play Moody Ballads or Barrelhouse Stride? Are you doing grand Pianistic gestures or are you just trying to meld into the wallpaper? Do you have to accompany the occasional singer? All of these are factors that come into play when making such decisions. I would load several possible choices and keep trying them out on gigs. Throw out what you don't need and bring in a new one for the next time. Sometimes you need to tweak a sound to perfection. Don't be afraid to experiment with Equalization and Effects. Save to memory any patches that light you up. Over time you'll learn which sounds work for you and which ones really don't.

The author horowizard was thanked by:
Nordmutt2
horowizard
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum