Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

NE5 MIDI Channels

Postby izzymusa » 25 Apr 2017, 05:31

Anyone know if the Nord Electro 5 can send multiple midi channels? For example, slot A, B and C is from the Nord itself via midi channel 1 and slot D is controlling a laptop rig via midi channel 2. Is that possible to do in Nord Electro 5? I own a Nord Lead 4 and I know I can't do it there cause it can only accept midi not send midi..
izzymusa

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

NE5 MIDI Channels

Sponsor

Re: NE5 MIDI Channels

Postby anotherscott » 25 Apr 2017, 16:35

izzymusa wrote:Anyone know if the Nord Electro 5 can send multiple midi channels? For example, slot A, B and C is from the Nord itself via midi channel 1 and slot D is controlling a laptop rig via midi channel 2. Is that possible to do in Nord Electro 5?

Yes, I think you can do this, to a certain extent. For the setup, see page 14 of the manual, "SENDING MIDI ON PART UPPER IN KB SPLIT MODE" and set the "Channel Upper Split" parameter to channel 2. This should allow you to have Nord sounds on slot A, B, and C (caveat: these sounds can only have Lower part enabled), and then in slot D, have a program with a Split (with the lowest possible split point selected), with no Nord sound selected for the Upper part. Most of the keys (everything above the split point) should then be triggering your laptop only.

Beyond that, you can't really change MIDI transmit settings on a program-by-program (or set list slot-by-slot) basis. The Nord Stage series has that functionality, but not the Electro.

The author anotherscott was thanked by 2 members, including:
JXrayssveltefox
anotherscott

Re: NE5 MIDI Channels

Postby anotherscott » 30 Apr 2017, 16:05

Correction to my post above: I said, "(caveat: these sounds can only have Lower part enabled)" -- They actually could have both Lower and Upper parts enabled, and that should work fine as long as you want to combine those two sounds as a layer rather than a split (i.e. do not engage the KB SPLIT button for the programs in slots A, B, and C). However there would be a complication if you want to do a split of your Nord sounds, because as soon as you turn Split mode on, any keys above the split point will trigger the Nord Lead as well as the internal Upper sound you've selected, which is presumably not what you want. But if you really needed to be able to put some Nord splits in your other slots, you could do it, as long as you remembered to somehow turn the Nord Lead sound off when playing those sounds (and turn it back on again when choosing your Slot D sound), which you could do either by turning down the Lead's volume knob, or running the Lead through a volume pedal that would allow you to bring the sound in and out as needed, or you could set up a silent patch on the Nord that you recall when you don't want it to sound, or you put a MIDI kill switch between the Nord and the Lead to enable/disable it as needed.

One more variable is whether you want calling up different programs on the Electro to change the program on the Lead, something you might want or might not want, and you can set the rig up accordingly. That's discussed in the thread at nord-electro-forum-f9/electro-5d-73-midi-setlist-mode-t13096.html#p84522
anotherscott

Return to Nord Electro Forum