General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Missing features on Stage 3?

Postby michaelgirardot » 26 Apr 2017, 17:54

Now that the Stage 3 has been announced, what features would you like to see added or changed in the final production version?

I'll start with...
*EDIT I'm adding the requests in the thread as we go along.

Software
-Class complient audio/midi over usb for use of iPad as an external instument.
-More than 2+/- semitones range on the pitch stick.
-Ability to get half-dampening with a single sustain pedal (DP-10, FC3A, D1)
-High trigger point for keyboard in synth and external section.
-Quick loading of all presets and samples from a USB stick or phone to backlined NS3's (via Nord Sound Manager iOS/Android app maybe?)
-Audio over USB (for use with Ableton Live or Mainstage to create patchs that send control changes and play sounds from the external computer)
-Custom Pattern Delays/Arpeggiators (Hold down tap tempo button and play keyboard to sequence a custom delay rhythm, or hold down arpeggio button to play custom note pattern)
-Autosampler - hook up external instrument via midi and audio to Sample editor and automatically trigger and record notes to make custom sampled patches.

Connections
-Audio Over USB
-USB-C for connecting audio/midi over usb to iPad
-1/4" External Effects Loop (for use with instrument level guitar effects pedals)
-1/4" Stereo Audio In (for external instruments)
-XLR out with ground lift

Hardware
-Triple sensor keybed.

Look
-A natural wood color option.

Accessories
-Midi Pedalboard with expression/volume pedal, sustain, preset up/down, effect on/off, and large effect/expression foot knob.
-Partner with pelican for a for a pelican air hard case that holds the 76 or 73 with stand legs, pedals, and two cables at under 50lbs.
Last edited by michaelgirardot on 28 Apr 2017, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
-Michael
The Revivalists
michaelgirardot

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Missing features on Stage 3?

Sponsor

Re: Missing features on Stage 3?

Postby Gambold » 26 Apr 2017, 18:05

Ability to run software on an iPad.
Gambold

Postby Mike37 » 26 Apr 2017, 19:36

More than 2+/- semitones range on the pitch stick.
Ability to get half-dampening with a regular, single sustain pedal.
High trigger point for keyboard also in synth and external section.

And, although it's never gonna happen, a triple sensor keyboard. Roland has FP-90 with the AH-50 action, and that keyboard costs less than half of Nord Stage 3 (obviously has much simpler design and functionality). I realise that Roland is a much bigger company, but the keyboard action was one of the major criticisms of NS2, and 6 years later NS3 is still using the same exact keyboard action. Still, Nord Stage 3 is one hell of a stage piano, and I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes. For a serious piano player though, it's a rather big compromise.
Mike37

Postby KyleM » 26 Apr 2017, 20:04

Mike37 wrote:More than 2+/- semitones range on the pitch stick.
Ability to get half-dampening with a regular, single sustain pedal.
High trigger point for keyboard also in synth and external section.

And, although it's never gonna happen, a triple sensor keyboard. Roland has FP-90 with the AH-50 action, and that keyboard costs less than half of Nord Stage 3 (obviously has much simpler design and functionality). I realise that Roland is a much bigger company, but the keyboard action was one of the major criticisms of NS2, and 6 years later NS3 is still using the same exact keyboard action. Still, Nord Stage 3 is one hell of a stage piano, and I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes. For a serious piano player though, it's a rather big compromise.

Yes, I use the Roland Juno DS88 to control the piano sounds on my NS2SW73 and it is like baby bears soup. (Just Right.)
I am so happy with the SW73 action I always recommend that people buy it and along with a controller if they must have weighted action. The advantage of course being that you have s smaller lighter board for occasions when you don't want to lug or can't fit the 88 key.

Speaking of Using the same key action, maybe they have a bunch laying around or they are repurposing NS2 EX series and they are getting rid of them. Of course I have no idea but I bet the EX series of the NS3 will have he upgraded triple senssor keyboard:

:thumbup:
De
KyleM

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby analogika » 26 Apr 2017, 20:05

Mike37 wrote:Ability to get half-dampening with a regular, single sustain pedal.

A "regular" sustain pedal is a simple on/off switch. There is no way anything could be "half" anywhere.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby varignet » 26 Apr 2017, 20:52

KyleM wrote:Speaking of Using the same key action, maybe they have a bunch laying around or they are repurposing NS2 EX series and they are getting rid of them. Of course I have no idea but I bet the EX series of the NS3 will have he upgraded triple senssor keyboard:
:thumbup:
De

I think you're spot on!
Nord Lead A1, Korg Trinity 76 Pro, Kawai MP7SE, Guitars, Ukes
varignet

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Postby Mike37 » 26 Apr 2017, 23:52

analogika wrote:
Mike37 wrote:Ability to get half-dampening with a regular, single sustain pedal.

A "regular" sustain pedal is a simple on/off switch. There is no way anything could be "half" anywhere.

No, that's wrong. You buy a sustain pedal with a stereo jack (or whatever it's called), and you get half-dampening. That's how it worked with my previous stage pianos.
Mike37

Postby anotherscott » 27 Apr 2017, 00:05

Mike37 wrote:
analogika wrote:

No, that's wrong. You buy a sustain pedal with a stereo jack (or whatever it's called), and you get half-dampening. That's how it worked with my previous stage pianos.

I guess it's a semantic issue as to whether that is a "regular" sustain pedal, but yes, there are sustain pedals that have this additional function and are not merely on-off switches. (It's also worth noting that these "half damper" pedals are not all identical/interchangeable.) But I guess the point here is that it would be nice to not have to use Nord's $400 triple pedal to get this feature on a Nord Stage, which is conceivable if they would support something like the $40 Roland DP-10 or $47 Yamaha FC3A or $65 Korg DS-1H.
anotherscott

Postby analogika » 27 Apr 2017, 00:17

Mike37 wrote:
analogika wrote:

Yes, but those aren't "regular"; they're product-line specific and not standardised. AFAIK, you can't just buy a generic one and expect it to work with a keyboard that supports half-dampening.

I mean, heck, the industry hasn't even been able to standardise on a single-polarity SWITCH in over forty years… (great moments in history when your Yamaha sustain pedal fails minutes before an opera gig, and the backup pedal supplied by the backline rental is a Kurzweil-polarity one… got it done in time to assuage the pianist who was freaking out, but I *really* needed a shower at that point…) :facepalm:
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Mike37 » 27 Apr 2017, 23:58

I guess using the word "regular" was misleading. I was simply meaning a single sustain pedal, not a triple pedal. I mean, how often do you use the other two pedals? It's just unnecessary extra weight to lug around IMO.
Mike37

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum