Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Sending program change from ableton to nord drum 3p

Postby Prestosafe » 18 Jan 2017, 12:05

Hi guys! I am quite new to programming CC and stuff, so this might also be a noob question, but I can't really make sense of this from the manual (due to lack of experience Im sure).
Anyway, I have made a few songs now using my nord drum 3+ and rack 2x sequenced via ableton, where I play Live drums and nord drum to the synth sequences of the nord rack. But What I want to do is sen CCs from Ableton to my nord drum (and the rack 2x aswell) to change the sound banks from song to song/ scene to scene in my live set.

Lets say I go from scene 1 to scene 2 in my ableton set. In Scene 1 i play the ND3p patch A. 29, and in the the second scene I play the patch E . 11. How would I write that CC message? Any ideas? :)

Cheers!
Oskar
Prestosafe

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Sending program change from ableton to nord drum 3p

Sponsor

Re: Sending program change from ableton to nord drum 3p

Postby Nord-Drum-mer » 09 Apr 2017, 17:35

Hi!

There are a few things to be aware of:
!) this is an Ableton question, not an ND question
2) you want to send PC's not CC's

WHY?

Ableton is the thing sending the change data, ND is just receiving. PC = Program Change, CC = Continuous Controller or Control Change

HOW?

make a MIDI track in Ableton sending to the port and channel that your ND is connected to. Empty MIDI clips in the track will transmit appropriate PC's to the ND, which will change as instructed, assuming you have connected everything correctly.

Changing ND patches from Ableton Live.pdf
(123.48 KiB) Downloaded 327 times

I have done this and depended upon it live, so I know it works.

Ed
Nord-Drum-mer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum

Postby StephMerchk » 22 Apr 2017, 17:45

Program changes has always worked with Nord Drum 2 (& 3 it seems). I still haven't found a way to send Bank changes though. ND 2 doesn't respond to Ableton's way of sending Bank changes. Only being able to send Program changes and no Bank changes isn't very useful for a live performance. Same problem using Modstep on an iPad. There is no way to send cc for MSB and LSB in Ableton nor in Modstep. It seems that those software are preconfigured to send MSB first then LSB (which is the normal order that most synths and drum machines use) when Nord Drum 2 has an inversed order for bank change as mentioned in the manual (LSB first then LSB).
Last edited by StephMerchk on 22 Apr 2017, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
StephMerchk

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2

Postby AbletonDrummer » 18 Jan 2018, 19:51

Hey I wrote a M4L device which is can communicate both ways from Ableton to Nord Drum 3P and back. This way you can easily set up automations and preset changes in Ableton Live to change things on the Nord Drum. It works the other way round as well, so if you route your MIDI input from the Nord Drum to the device parameter changes are recogized. But the main purpose is to use it in the first way described. You will find the links and a tutorial here: http://blog.abletondrummer.com/nord-dru ... 4l-editor/
Attachments
Nord Drum Ableton Live Editor.png
Nord Drum Ableton Live Editor.png (208.82 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
AbletonDrummer

Return to Nord Drum Forum