General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

advice needed about partition size

Postby roly-m » 21 Apr 2017, 03:43

Hi folks
I would like to add the XL version of the "bright grand" to my wife's Nord Stage EX.

Am i right in thinking that all components of the "piano" partition would have to be deleted in order to make room for the new sample in the piano partition?

The wife doesn't want to loose the Rhodes, Whirly, clave samples.

Can I clean house on other partitions to make room for the XL Bright Grand?

Looking at the file size of other unwanted sounds.....looks like I will need to make a pretty big hole to download the desired sample to the EX if that will work.

Can partitions be resized to make room for the XL version in the piano partition?

Sorry for my lack of depth....I'm a bass player.
cheers
Roly
roly-m

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX

advice needed about partition size

Sponsor

Re: advice needed about partition size

Postby anotherscott » 21 Apr 2017, 05:20

I'm not sure what you mean about partitions, but the NS-EX piano sample memory is 256 MB which can be used for whatever piano ibrary sounds you'd like. Bright Grand XL is about 196 mb. So that leaves 60 mb for your Rhodes, Wurly, and Clav. The basic wurly and clav will take about 12 mb, leaving you 48 mb for a Rhodes assortment.
Last edited by anotherscott on 21 Apr 2017, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
anotherscott

Postby maxpiano » 21 Apr 2017, 06:50

anotherscott wrote:I'm not sure what you mean about partitions, but the NS-EX piano sample memory is 256 MB which can be used for whatever piano ibrary sounds you'd like. Bright Grand XL is about 196 mb. So that leaves 60 mb for your Rhodes, Wurly, and Clav. The basic wurly and clav will take about 12 mb, leaving you 48 mb for a Rhodes assortment.

As anotherscott says, the partitions are just a logical way to organize the Piano samples (call them "categories") but the memory size is "shared" (any partition/category can use from 0 to full memory, depending on the samples you load)
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby roly-m » 22 Apr 2017, 04:17

Thanks very much for your advice folks.
roly-m

Postby roly-m » 22 Apr 2017, 06:10

Hi folks
Got the Bright grand uploaded.
In sound manager, under the pianos tab....it says Bright Grand XL.....under the programs tab....it says Grand Lady D.
On the Stage EX, it says Grand Lady D.

Anyone know why things aren't consistent?
cheers
Roly
roly-m

Postby maxpiano » 22 Apr 2017, 08:41

roly-m wrote:Hi folks
Got the Bright grand uploaded.
In sound manager, under the pianos tab....it says Bright Grand XL.....under the programs tab....it says Grand Lady D.
On the Stage EX, it says Grand Lady D.

Anyone know why things aren't consistent?
cheers
Roly

Program names are independent from the sample they use and so they have retained the previous name.
Just change the Program name to whatever you like, e.g, "My Bright Grand"
Last edited by maxpiano on 22 Apr 2017, 08:45, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby roly-m » 22 Apr 2017, 09:00

Hi Thanks for your help.....it seems a bit silly that the program name is not uploaded with the sample.
So.....Grand Lady D is no longer Grand Lady D....it just says Grand Lady D.....live with it?
roly-m

Postby maxpiano » 22 Apr 2017, 11:19

It is not silly at all because a Program includes also all the other sections settings and not just the Piano, so you may want for example name it as the song you use that Program for... and also, since you can use the same Sample in multiple Programs, should they all have the same name then!? (ok, you are not a keyboard player, clearly otherwise this would be rather obvious for you too; all sample-based keyboards work like that ;) )

If instead you want to create/load a combination of Program+Sample, to keep them consistent, you need to use the "Bundle" function of Nord Sound Manager.
Last edited by maxpiano on 22 Apr 2017, 13:33, edited 5 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby analogika » 22 Apr 2017, 13:21

A program ALWAYS contains TWO pianos, two organs, and two synths (which can be either sample or waveform) — one each for Slots A and B.

Those six engines are ALWAYS there, in every program, regardless of whether they are in use or not.

Once you start thinking in that structure, having activation/deactivation or replacement of one of the sounds of those six engines affect the name of the program makes absolutely no sense.

The program name is merely a label so that you can recognise the combination of engines in a list.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum