Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Trigger Nord Drum 3P via MIDI with additional pads?

Postby Falkom » 15 Apr 2017, 17:48

Can I add multiple external trigger pads to my Nord Drum 3 using a "trigger to MIDI" converter and connect that one to the MIDI in of the ND3? There's one from DDrum that translates multiple trigger signals to MIDI.
Will the ND3 recieve MIDI note inputs and play sounds and still allows to be played?
Needless to say the kick trigger input is taken already.

Or when the Nord Beat iPad App triggers sequences, can the Nord Drum still be played at the same time
or would that kind of max out the 6 channels?

Thank you all kindly for your attention.
Falkom

Trigger Nord Drum 3P via MIDI with additional pads?

Sponsor

Re: Trigger Nord Drum 3P via MIDI with additional pads?

Postby wartaler » 16 Apr 2017, 11:47

Hi,
Yes it is possible to control the 6 drum sounds ('channels') on the Nord Drum 3p with MIDI
The 6 channels are completely independent from each other, but each channel is monophonic.
you can trigger the 6 drum sounds with both MIDI and the pads , but if you hit the pad exactly at the same time as a MIDI note is received for the same drum sound, you won't hear the sound twice
Albert
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by:
Falkom
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby Falkom » 16 Apr 2017, 21:46

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate!

So, the ND3Ps polyphonic range is 6 voices at all times.
Can those notes that are coming in triggered by MIDI differ from those
assigned to the 6 pads. They can be "additional" sounds to the ones I am already
using on the 6 pads, right? ( I hope.)
2 additional "crash cymbal" sounds that can be hit in sync with the kickdrum sound, for example.

And will an incoming trigger signal cut off a long reverb or delay "tail" that has been playing on the
identical channel? Or would it just replace the actual sound but not the effect tail.

Just trying to max out the possibilities when using the ND3P live as a super minimalistic stand alone
drum kit.

Cheers,
Falko
Last edited by Falkom on 16 Apr 2017, 22:05, edited 2 times in total.
Falkom

Postby wartaler » 17 Apr 2017, 09:07

Hi,

Falkom wrote:Can those notes that are coming in triggered by MIDI differ from those
assigned to the 6 pads. They can be "additional" sounds to the ones I am already
using on the 6 pads, right? ( I hope.)

No, if you are using a drum set with for example: bassdrum, snare, hi-hat, and 3 toms, you can't play other sounds with MIDI than these (eg add crash sounds). However, with the right MIDI settings you can play the same sounds with a different pitch, which in this example might be interesting for the tom sounds. With a kit composed of: bassdrum, snare, hi-hat, one tom, and 2 crashes, you would still be able to play multiple tom pitches.

If you program a simple snare + bassdrum loop with the Nord Beat app, you can still play the kit yourself, even add extra snare or bassdrum notes in between the notes that are triggered with the app.

Falkom wrote:And will an incoming trigger signal cut off a long reverb or delay "tail" that has been playing on the
identical channel? Or would it just replace the actual sound but not the effect tail.

Not sure, I think the reverb is an effect that behaves just like an external reverb (but dry/wet can be set per channel) so I don't think the reverb tail is cut by new notes. The delay might be different, I only know that the delay on the Nord drum2 was similar to a MIDI delay, not sure how it works on the Nord drum3p.

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 17 Apr 2017, 09:21, edited 2 times in total.

Falkom
wartaler

Postby Falkom » 17 Apr 2017, 11:36

Thanks again for all your addional inputs (pun intended)!

Ok, I get it now, sadly.
Have to say, that is a bit of a let down and vastly limits what I had in mind with the thing.
Which was replacing my Yamaha DTX Multi 12 or Roland SPD SX by something a lot more sophisticated in Terms of sounds.

Seems the only solution is adding a Nord Drum 2 to the Setup :)
Or is there word of the Nord Drum 3 (module) ever seeing the light of day?

:thanx:
Falkom

Postby wartaler » 18 Apr 2017, 07:11

Hi Falkom,

Just to be sure: you want it to replace your DTX multi and SPD-SX, be aware the Nord drum is a synth, it doesn't play back samples of any kind, don't expect it to generate realistic acoustic drum sounds.

Albert

Falkom
wartaler

Postby Falkom » 18 Apr 2017, 08:29

wartaler wrote:Hi Falkom,

Just to be sure: you want it to replace your DTX multi and SPD-SX, be aware the Nord drum is a synth, it doesn't play back samples of any kind, don't expect it to generate realistic acoustic drum sounds.

Albert

No no, that's why I ordered the P3. Can't stand sampled drums, because there's real drums out there.
I love the synthetic sounds. I think, if it looks electric it should sound electric.

Since you're being so helpful, do you have a P3 and does yours hiss as well when reverb is in use?
I apologize for going OT for a moment but I'm sadly considering a return atm.

Thank you kindly,
Falko
Falkom

Postby wartaler » 21 Apr 2017, 05:00

Hi Falkom,
Yes, I actually think the same way about sampled drums, I was just curious.

Perhaps a Nord drum desktop model might suit your needs better, I was surprised the Nord drum3 desktop model (a design of it was briefly on the website when the 3p was introduced) was never actually made, perhaps one day they'll surprise us, who will tell..

I don't have a 3p, that's why I didn't join in on the thread about the hiss, nord-drum-forum-f27/nord-drum-3p-is-very-noisy-t12780.html Maybe that issue can still be fixed, not sure..

Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 21 Apr 2017, 05:04, edited 2 times in total.
wartaler

Postby bentstavanger » 20 Dec 2018, 23:09

wartaler wrote:However, with the right MIDI settings you can play the same sounds with a different pitch, which in this example might be interesting for the tom sounds. With a kit composed of: bassdrum, snare, hi-hat, one tom, and 2 crashes, you would still be able to play multiple tom pitches.

That sounds like a great idea for getting more sounds out of the 3P. How can it be done? :-D
Last edited by bentstavanger on 20 Dec 2018, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
bentstavanger

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum

Postby wartaler » 21 Dec 2018, 04:15

Hi,
The first step is to setup an individual MIDI channel for the drum channel with the tom sound (if the Global MIDI channel = 10, pick any except MIDI channel 10), any note sent on that MIDI channel will then trigger the tom sound and the note number will determine the pitch.
Albert

bentstavanger
wartaler

Next

Return to Nord Drum Forum