The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

What is this Classic Reggae Organ?

Postby jhipolito » 07 Mar 2017, 02:22

So, with my new C2D, I'll be working on some Early reggae/Ska/Rocksteady sounds. I'm a big fan of the organs used during the late 60's when Reggae/Skinhead Reggae were still very young... Do any of you know what this organ sound is at the beginning of the song?? It's driving me nuts. Is it a Farfisa? A Hammond? Interesting the type of settings, sustain and reverb used... Here it is: https://youtu.be/m-wNx2k2Pas

Thanks so much for your response in advance..
J
Last edited by jhipolito on 17 Mar 2017, 02:40, edited 2 times in total.
jhipolito

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

What is this Classic Reggae Organ?

Sponsor

Re: Is this sound possible on a C2D? What is this Organ Soun

Postby tacitus » 16 Mar 2017, 19:06

Sounds like a Hammond with no Leslie (but you'd get close on most combo organs if you tried). It sounds like it was done pretty much live in the studio, which figures for that sort of track. So one way and another, you should be able to get close with a cleanish Hammond sound, maybe 56880000, no Leslie, little or no vibrato and some reverb, but not too big a room. Anyway, start there and pull drawbars and twiddle knobs till you like it.

And, heresy though it may be to say so, if you learn the lick and get it right in context, it probably won't matter too much if you're not bang on the sound. People spend months arguing about what organ is featured on what track, and especially when it's a combo-y sort of sound, it's hard to tell. Don't know about Jamaica, but in the UK in the 60s, bands played combos live (to be able to transport them) and often recorded on Hammonds or whatever the studio had...

I can hardly believe I'm saving up for a real Hammond now I've said that!

Good luck

The author tacitus was thanked by:
jhipolito
tacitus

Re: Is this sound possible on a C2D? What is this Organ Soun

Postby jhipolito » 17 Mar 2017, 02:35

Thanks so much again for your response! I'll be playing with the settings and see.. I LOVE my C2D!! The sounds are amazing... And I love the Vox sounds; I had a Vox Super Continental (1964) that I really miss. This C2D really helped to achieve the sound again!

Cheers,
Jim
jhipolito

Re: What is this Classic Reggae Organ?

Postby jhipolito » 19 Apr 2017, 14:53

So, I've been experimenting with this sound; the only thing missing is the subtle delay or reverb effect I'm trying to figure out.. Wondering if it's built into the organ itself, or added to the original mix down.. I'm working on a studio project and currently doing a lead and trying to accomplish this sound.. Thanks again!!
jhipolito

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum