Best Swell Pedal for C-2?

The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum
RevvDon
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Re: Best Swell Pedal for C-2?

Post by RevvDon »

Has anyone been able to use the Yamaha's FC7's fortissimo function successfully w/ the C2? I loosened the screw for spring point adjustment, but pressing down further on the pedal past the normal position results in no increase in volume. I do have the C2's system settings set for Yamaha swell pedal.
Last edited by RevvDon on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
jazzhead
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX

Post by jazzhead »

Have received a replacement FC7 pedal today and everything works fine. :thumbup:
Last edited by jazzhead on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Wright
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Post by Michael Wright »

jazzhead wrote:Have received a replacement FC7 pedal today and everything works fine. :thumbup:
:thumbup:
Last edited by Michael Wright on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
RevvDon

Post by RevvDon »

Turns out the fortissimo function in my FC7 ended up working. Not sure how.
Last edited by RevvDon on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
Mooser

Post by Mooser »

"I have requested a replacement from the reseller in UK. Maybe I was unlucky and got a faulty unit?"

Probably not. When I made that adjustment on the FC7 pedal i bought, it was fussy and hard to seat positively. If you have all the parts metal latch and screw and the plastic housing is not broken, it should seat. The instructions on re-seating the pedal in the alternate position is not terribly clear either.

Thanks, all! I purchased the Yamaha FC7 and it works great. Important to remember, as we discussed with Jason Lollar, that where the master volume is set, and the range the pedal is in, effects the tonal balance of the organ. I'm concluding that I should set my amps so the master volume contrrol is about the 50% mark, and the pedal opened a bit to reach playing volume give right tonal balance. But this pedal, does what I want. Allows smooth volume changes, or a pop-stab, and the sforzando feature indicated the going-into-big-distortion point nicely. And it's sturdy. And inexpensive.
Last edited by Mooser on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 3 times in total.
jasonlee
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Post by jasonlee »

another vote for the Yamaha...I LOVE these pedals...got two on ebay awhile back for $60.00 USD delivered. What a deal! SOLID pedals...soooo much better than the rolands...and really do the job!
Last edited by jasonlee on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
orgedraaier

Post by orgedraaier »

The Nord Swell pedal looks like/is Crumar MJ-EXP02 or Crumar MJ-EXP01 with a different base to fit on the Nord pedalboard.
The Crumar has some metal moving metal piece under the pedal, the Nord has some preparations for it, like a hole in the basepart, but it is just not there on the Nord version. Suppose they left it out for some reason (auto return?).
Attachments
Crumar MJ-EXP02
Crumar MJ-EXP02
Crumar MJ-EXP02.jpg (52.45 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
Crumar MJ-EXP01
Crumar MJ-EXP01
Crumar MJ-EXP01.jpg (106.44 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
Last edited by orgedraaier on 09 Jul 2015, 21:12, edited 4 times in total.
sweelinck

Post by sweelinck »

Although this is an old thread, thought I would add that the Nord C2 and presumably other Nord organs have a setting for the swell pedal model to calibrate the rate of change of signal with respect to movement of the pedal and the high and low settings of the pedal to the organ.

If this is not set, comparisons between pedals are inaccurate. Edited from page 17 of the Nord C2 owner's manual:

Different brands of control pedals have different specifications (resistance, offset, and linearity).

To simplify setup and to optimize the response of the. pedal for the Nord C2, the most common pedal makes are preconfigured, and you simply select the type of pedal you connect.

Roland, Yamaha and Fatar are linear control pedals with different scaling and offset.

Ernie Ball pedals are marketed as volume pedals, with a logarithmic response, but the response is rescaled internally in the Nord C2 to make them work nicely as control pedals.

Settings: FA=Fatar, ER=Ernie Ball, Y=Yamaha, RO=Roland