Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Electro 5 players: Which Leslie setting do you prefer?

You may select 1 option

View results

Re: POLL: Electro 5 players, Which Leslie setting do you pre

Postby voodoo » 11 Apr 2017, 09:11

I made a one-to-one comparison of the tho leslie types, can be found here:

nord-stage-forum-f3/rotary-speker-122-versus-122-close-t12995.html

Uli
voodoo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Sponsor

Postby Gambold » 12 Apr 2017, 03:40

>It's a very noticeable difference<

I won't flog this forever but I think the word "very" is "very" dependent upon who you are and what you know. I have to strain to hear it in a live setting, and the rest of my band had no idea what I was talking about, nor could they hear anything noticeably different coming through the PA. I guess it's like fine wines...you know them or you don't...
Gambold

Postby anotherscott » 12 Apr 2017, 22:46

Gambold wrote:>It's a very noticeable difference<

I won't flog this forever but I think the word "very" is "very" dependent upon who you are and what you know. I have to strain to hear it in a live setting, and the rest of my band had no idea what I was talking about, nor could they hear anything noticeably different coming through the PA. I guess it's like fine wines...you know them or you don't...

Yeah, and I think when he said it's a very noticeable difference, it is fair to read that as it's a very noticeable difference to him. I'm sure it's not equally apparent to all players or in all situations. I posted what I did so that people who don't hear the difference might find it easier to hear if they want to, but there are probably plenty of people who don't even care. They're happy with how it sounds either way, and that's good enough. But if it's not obvious to someone, and they're curious about it, my tips and voodoo's audio samples might help. As a point of interest, in my mono playing at least, I found that even the "close" version still did not provide as much of the whomp-whomp-whomp as the Hammond SK1, Roland VR-09, or Ventilator. But that's only one measure of the differences among these sims, and not even necessarily one that everyone cares about. I'd say that the E5D's rotary effect beats the SK1 and VR-09 in the cabinet coloration and overdrive, for example (even though some are frustrated that they can't completely eliminate the overdrive).
Last edited by anotherscott on 12 Apr 2017, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
anotherscott

Postby ericL » 12 Apr 2017, 22:51

Good points. Some context that might help in terms of why my ears are tuned into noticing Leslie sims. I've been using real Hammonds and Leslies since the '80s and my first clonewheel rig was the analog Korg CX-3 paired with a Dynacord CLS-222 (later the CX-3 was replaced by Hammond XB-2 right when it hit the market around '91-92. The CLS-222 was the standard for its time and still holds up pretty well these days. Since that time, I've had more than one CLS-222, multiple other clones, every Ventilator made (I currently have three Vents), and so forth. I've always been on the hunt for the optimal Hammond/Leslie sound in a lightweight rig. There are clonewheels that top the NS2 and NE5, but I love the all-in-one functionality of the Nord instruments.

When I first hear the 122 Close on the NE5, I knew it was something special. I'd love to see that same model of sim incorporated into the NS3.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 12 Apr 2017, 23:22

ericL wrote:When I first hear the 122 Close on the NE5, I knew it was something special. I'd love to see that same model of sim incorporated into the NS3.

According to a post in another thread, Nord has confirmed that 122 Close will be included on the NS3.
anotherscott

Postby reedmnweep » 14 Mar 2019, 20:46

Even during the nutty days of carrying a Hammond and four other keyboards, most bands didn’t use more than one Leslie. But Nord should give us that option now. NE5 organ programs can include all manner of effect and amp settings, so kindly release the Leslies! From 122 clean with a close mic to 147 beat up and burping, choosing a completely different Leslie for specific programs- with different saved speeds & ramps, etc.- should be standard; and without menu diving.
reedmnweep

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum