Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

how do you play backing track?

Postby mifat » 28 Mar 2017, 04:20

Alot of keyboard has a USB that takes a thumb drive to play midi backing track. This doesn't have one. Do you just use the computer or laptop to play along or that 3.5mm Jack?
mifat

how do you play backing track?

Sponsor

Re: how do you play backing track?

Postby mifat » 31 Mar 2017, 03:55

Nobody plays backing tracks?
mifat

Postby Berretje » 31 Mar 2017, 07:41

If I'm going to play backing tracks, it will be through my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface. And the (balanced jack - TRS) output goes to a normal XLR cable.
The 3.5mm jack is not that bad quality, but I find it to small/fragile on stage.
Last edited by Berretje on 01 May 2018, 09:45, edited 2 times in total.
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby hernan1304 » 06 Apr 2017, 04:47

I use a small mixer to play along to music (usually from my iPhone) through my monitors. So both the keyboard and the iPhone input to the mixer, mixer output to the monitors. I got a B-Stock Allen & Heath ZED10 FX for $189, works great.
hernan1304

Postby Schorsch » 21 Sep 2019, 18:00

Hi guys,

after playing live and pure handmade over the last 40 years in several bands I have now been asked to join a "band" which consist of just a guitarist and a drummer plus me now on keyboards (will see how long ..). They play just pop cover music from the past 30-40 years or so and would like to sound as full as a 5-6 players band. I am therefore thinking of using backing tracks (although I very much dislike this kind of thing), especially for the bass but also for other instruments which are missing like rhythm guitar, percussions or also sometimes brass ensembles or strings/symphonic orchestras when I am busy with piano, organs or something else.

I can get the backing tracks from karaoke portals tailored to my needs, but I am now looking for a suitable player that can be used on stage. I don't and will not use laptops, iPad only if there is no other option for audio. The ideal player should be able to play MP3 or wave files from internal memory, USB drives or USB harddisks, should be easy to handle via MIDI commands like program changes to switch between songs and also be able to start a track when receiving a special note via Midi, for example pressing the highest key on my Stage 3 88 should trigger playing the audio file.

Does anyone of you know / can recommend a device which provides this kind of functionality?
Last edited by Schorsch on 21 Sep 2019, 18:37, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby pablomastodon » 22 Sep 2019, 17:44

mifat wrote:Nobody plays backing tracks?

three cheers for all those nobodies who don't use backing tracks!

that said, I was once at a private party with ~50 people or so at which Patrick Moraz played...with a laptop playing his personal backing tracks with dense orchestral things happening...and no one there raised an eyebrow...it was GREAT!
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Berretje » 22 Sep 2019, 23:45

Schorsch wrote:Does anyone of you know / can recommend a device which provides this kind of functionality?

Ah friend of mine (also a keyboard player) is using the LP-16 Live Player in the band and is very happy with it!

The LP-16 User Manual contains in-depth details of your Live Player’s features and functionality, including:
• Direct from USB hard drive multi-track playback (16 tracks at 24-bit, 44.1/48kHz)
• Creation and editing of settings and playlist files offline, using uTool software
• MIDI file playback fully synchronized to audio tracks
• 16 unbalanced analog 1/4″ tip-sleeve outputs
• 2-input / 18-output USB audio interface, 24 bit/44.1/48 kHz USB Class Compliant
• Mac OS-X compatible: Core Audio plug and play drivers
• Windows PC compatible (Windows 7, 8 and 10, 32-bit/64-bit) WDM and ASIO drivers.
• IPad compatible: Plug and play. USB adapter required

Gr
Bart
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum