Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.

rename sample

Postby idude » 26 Mar 2017, 21:19

hai

newbie here. is it possible to rename a sample?
idude

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

rename sample

Sponsor

Re: rename sample

Postby maxpiano » 27 Mar 2017, 01:27

No

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
monsterjazzlicks
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby maxpiano » 27 Mar 2017, 01:28

PS: .nsmp files are not editable in any way.
Last edited by maxpiano on 27 Mar 2017, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.

monsterjazzlicks
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby ACCORDIONMAN » 27 Mar 2017, 11:12

You can rename the .nsmp file on your computer before you import it into the keyboard. This will make the name change in the keyboard itself.

The author ACCORDIONMAN was thanked by 2 members, including:
WannitBBBadmonsterjazzlicks
ACCORDIONMAN
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Johannes » 27 Mar 2017, 14:31

Or, if you create it using the sample editor, it will automatically take the name of your .proj file, so change that one.

The author Johannes was thanked by:
monsterjazzlicks
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby maxpiano » 27 Mar 2017, 15:53

Yes, on custom made .nsmp it takes the project name so it should not change if filename of the generated .nsmp is modified after.

ACCORDIONMAN wrote:You can rename the .nsmp file on your computer before you import it into the keyboard. This will make the name change in the keyboard itself.

I would not have expected that renaming an existing .nsmp file also renames the internal name of the Sample, I would be surprised if it does since the some Nord Library samples names the initials of the authors (and they are linked to patches by Name and no longer position since version 2.0 of the library). Have you actually tried that and working?
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby ACCORDIONMAN » 03 Apr 2017, 18:55

I tried it with a custom sample, and renaming the .nsmp file then dragging it in with Sound Manger also changes the name internally on my Electro 5D.

However it is correct that it does not work for samples from Nord sample library. So fair play there, I only tried it with a custom sample.
ACCORDIONMAN
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 30 Dec 2021, 02:43

Hi guys,

Thanks for these answers!

So just to confirm, please, even on the Electro 6 it is not possible to rename a sample within the Nord Sound Manager? I've been fiddling around for ages and it seems to be this way. :?

I may as well ask!: why is this so? It does not seem to be asking the impossible in this day and age.

Cheers,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 30 Dec 2021, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Electro 6D (61) | Yamaha DXR 10 (pair) | Yamaha HS7 (pair) | Cubase 9 | Sibelius 8.6 | Windows 10
monsterjazzlicks

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby maxpiano » 30 Dec 2021, 09:38

monsterjazzlicks wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks for these answers!

So just to confirm, please, even on the Electro 6 it is not possible to rename a sample within the Nord Sound Manager? I've been fiddling around for ages and it seems to be this way. :?

I may as well ask!: why is this so? It does not seem to be asking the impossible in this day and age.

Cheers,

Paul

You can name your own made samples the way you want and Nord to name their own samples the way they want as well (and in some cases the include the initials of the sound designer who made it, probably for copyright agreements and if so I can understand they wouldn't want that to be changed).

But at the end of the day, is it really an issue considering that you save that sample as part of a Program or Synth Preset (on Nord Stage 2/3) and you can name that program/preset as you like? I can't see the problem.
Also on other keyboards (e.g. Montage/Motif) you rename internal or factory library samples, you just use them within your patches and forget about whatever name they have.
Consider also that samples in programs are referenced by their name, so keeping the same name for an official Nord Library sample guarantees that exchanging using patches using that sample will work the same on all keyboards (otherwise you'd have to include your renamed sample all the times and potentially create duplicates in otehr users' sample memory, where that sample already exists but with a different name)
Last edited by maxpiano on 30 Dec 2021, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

monsterjazzlicks
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 01 Jan 2022, 00:43

maxpiano wrote:You can name your own made samples the way you want and Nord to name their own samples the way they want as well (and in some cases the include the initials of the sound designer who made it, probably for copyright agreements and if so I can understand they wouldn't want that to be changed).

But at the end of the day, is it really an issue considering that you save that sample as part of a Program or Synth Preset (on Nord Stage 2/3) and you can name that program/preset as you like? I can't see the problem.
Also on other keyboards (e.g. Montage/Motif) you rename internal or factory library samples, you just use them within your patches and forget about whatever name they have.
Consider also that samples in programs are referenced by their name, so keeping the same name for an official Nord Library sample guarantees that exchanging using patches using that sample will work the same on all keyboards (otherwise you'd have to include your renamed sample all the times and potentially create duplicates in otehr users' sample memory, where that sample already exists but with a different name)

Sorry Max,

I missed your response as I was busy in another thread. Many thanks though as always! :thumbup:

That's all very helpful. It makes perfect sense now when you take into consideration 'copyright' etc.

To be clear, it's only my own samples I am looking to rename, but I just can't see how you perform this action - I've been trying on and off for about a week now! I guess you are going to say I should have renamed them BEFORE uploading them?! :?

Thanks again and have a great NYE/NY!

Paul

Rename.png
Rename
Rename.png (45.26 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 01 Jan 2022, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Electro 6D (61) | Yamaha DXR 10 (pair) | Yamaha HS7 (pair) | Cubase 9 | Sibelius 8.6 | Windows 10
monsterjazzlicks

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Next

Return to Nord User Samples (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4 files)