General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Accessing Samples from the Keyboard

Postby M_Sommer » 24 Mar 2017, 01:36

Hello,
First, I am new to a lot of this so thank you for your help...I understand how to download new samples and load them into the Nord Sound Manager and sync it with my keyboard. While I am able to access new programs on my actual keyboard, I can't figure out how to access the new samples. If I scroll through the samples within a particular program I can see that the samples are there in the list but what I play on the keyboard is not the sound of the new samples. Is there a way to make a sample into a program? How do I actually play the sample and make it a program that I can organize with the other programs?
I am not alone in this quest and can't find any videos on it.
Thank you!
Moksha
M_Sommer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Accessing Samples from the Keyboard

Sponsor

Re: Accessing Samples from the Keyboard

Postby LudovicVDP » 24 Mar 2017, 09:25

if you load your sample into a program, you first want to make sure that this program "allows" you to play the synth like you want to.
By that I mean: Maybe the synth section is off in this program. Or maybe there is a split so the keys you press don't play synth. Or maybe you loaded the samples in a slot that is not activated.
Maybe there is a filter there, or a too long attack, or... I don't know.

Start from an empty program. Make sure you activate the synth section, full keyboard (no split). Attack full left. Some release. No filter. Should work.

Apologies if you already know this and were looking for a more complicated answer.
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby M_Sommer » 24 Mar 2017, 21:46

Thank you for your help with this...I am super new to this.
The only way I've been able to access the new samples is through other programs on the keyboard itself and it is not the clean sound. I can see which ones are split, etc.
How do I know which programs allow for the sound to be played in its clean form?
How do I load the sample into a program in the first place?
is there a way to do this in Nord Sound Manager?
Where do I access an empty program?
Thank you!
M_Sommer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby maxpiano » 25 Mar 2017, 07:44

The Piano Samples are used in the Piano section. The Synth Samples are waveforms for the Synth, so yo can use them in the Synth section (oscillator in Samp mode, then browse for the samples).

You can use the Synth Init and Sound Init functions to initialize a Program activating only the synth section and resetting its parameters.

Anyway using a keyboard like the Nord Stage, although it has many controls so it looks intuitive, cannot be done by trial and errors; you need to know what you are doing.

So, recommendation: read the Nord Stage manual carefully first and understand the NS structure, the role of the various Sections and of the different type of Samples, then try to apply what you read on the NS and all will become clear.
Last edited by maxpiano on 26 Mar 2017, 19:17, edited 5 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
M_Sommer
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby koloman » 25 Mar 2017, 23:45

To test new samples and also to compare different samples with similar sounds I created a new Programm (in my case D 1:1), where only the synth section in bothe slots A & B is active, all effects except a decent reverb are off and in both slots A & B an initial sample is loaded after initialisation of both synth section. Then this programm is stored to location D 1:1.

If I want to test a new sample I load it via Nord Sound manager in a free number in the sample storage. Then I need only to select with the knob the new sample number e.g. in slot A. Now I can play around with the sample and understand if I would like to keep it and to include it in a "production program". If I want to compare the sound of 2 samples, I load one in Slot A, the other in Slot B and select with the Slot button A or B to hear and compare how it sounds.
Wolfgang

PS.. I described this already in another forum article, but was too lazy to search for it.

The author koloman was thanked by:
M_Sommer
koloman
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Return to Nord Stage Forum