Share your Programs/Patches for the Nord Electro Series (Nord Electro, NE2, NE3, NE4, NE5 D/HP/SW versions)
Forum rules
Share your Programs/Patches for the Nord Electro Series : NE, NE2, NE3, NE4, NE5.
When creating a new topic, it's good to add a prefix in you title that mention one of these Electro version,
e.g., [NE4]: Program for Van Halen - Jump

Are piano samples really THAT good??

Postby cenica » 23 Mar 2017, 02:40

Hi guys. First of all, please forgive my english. I'm interested in buying an electro 5. I found the sound of many pianos in the official nord library pretty good, but (I know, this will sound as a very stupid question) I'd like to know if they really sound as good as in the little demos provided by the site. I have played an electro in a music shop, but there were only grand pianos on it (and that's also the case of the demos I found on youtube), and to me GPianos are always definitely worse than the real thing, no matter how good is the electric instrument (I graduated as a classical pianist); nevertheless, I found the upright pianos and the bambinos not so bad at all! So, as stupid as it could sound: are they still good once you put them on the electro?
Mechanical differences between electro and real pianos are not a problem: I'm interested in the sound quality.
cenica

Are piano samples really THAT good??

Sponsor

Re: Are piano samples really THAT good??

Postby Quai34 » 23 Mar 2017, 04:09

Actually, they are really good. I have a Stage 2 loaded with 2XL piano, Imperial Grand and Italien Grand. They sound super natural, lot of bass and clean high as well, the triple pedal with the pedal noise, resonance and so on is really like a real piano. No woories, but the Electro 5 you won't be disapointed...Ok, I have a good stereo PA, 2 PS-10P Yorkvile, that should be the equivalent of the QSC here in Canada...So, think about it when you budget you purchase...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.

The author Quai34 was thanked by:
cenica
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Duplobaustein » 23 Mar 2017, 09:14

I am also coming from classical music and I was never satisfied with the Nord pianos. Switched to a Kurzweil Forte for that.
Last edited by Duplobaustein on 23 Mar 2017, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

The author Duplobaustein was thanked by:
cenica
Duplobaustein

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Postby cenica » 23 Mar 2017, 11:30

Quai34 wrote:Actually, they are really good. I have a Stage 2 loaded with 2XL piano, Imperial Grand and Italien Grand. They sound super natural, lot of bass and clean high as well, the triple pedal with the pedal noise, resonance and so on is really like a real piano. No woories, but the Electro 5 you won't be disapointed...Ok, I have a good stereo PA, 2 PS-10P Yorkvile, that should be the equivalent of the QSC here in Canada...So, think about it when you budget you purchase...

Thanks a lot. Which reminds me: why the nord piano library doesn't show its grand pianos? I could find the grand imperial only with a research on google which directed me to the nord grand imperial download page, but if I try to see all the grand pianos from here http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libr ... no-library nothing happens: what's going on?
Last edited by cenica on 23 Mar 2017, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
cenica

Postby maxpiano » 23 Mar 2017, 11:53

cenica wrote:
Quai34 wrote:Actually, they are really good. I have a Stage 2 loaded with 2XL piano, Imperial Grand and Italien Grand. They sound super natural, lot of bass and clean high as well, the triple pedal with the pedal noise, resonance and so on is really like a real piano. No woories, but the Electro 5 you won't be disapointed...Ok, I have a good stereo PA, 2 PS-10P Yorkvile, that should be the equivalent of the QSC here in Canada...So, think about it when you budget you purchase...

Thanks a lot. Which reminds me: why the nord piano library doesn't show its grand pianos? I could find the grand imperial only with a research on google which directed me to the nord grand imperial download page, but if I try to see all the grand pianos from here http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libr ... no-library nothing happens: what's going on?

Looks like a temporary problem, maybe they are updating something on that page? 8-) (try again later)

About the sound, Quai34 has a point there about the quality of PA being a crucial factor, there are pianos I don't like when I use headphones but they sound great on a good PA and sit well in the band mix. In general I think Nord Pianos are very good particularly in a band context, maybe still good but not as well for piano solo or piano-voice situations (but it is a matter of taste and having Virtual Pianos as a reference)
Last edited by maxpiano on 24 Mar 2017, 07:55, edited 2 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
cenica
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Quai34 » 24 Mar 2017, 06:54

I've never played a Kurzweil but agree that they could be very good as well, even better for some players than the Nortd...For Band, Jazz, Pop and so on, and I mean, real trio jazz etc, they are very good...The only limitation I find in the Nord mechanism (But I think it might be the same for any digital piano..) it's when you have to play something very fast, using a lot just the right amount of resistance but also the right amount of close "rebund" called in french "Le double échapement", sorry , don't know the equivalent in english:
3rd movement, moonlight sonata by beethoven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zucBfXpCA6s
That's why, after having dicsussed about it in this forum, I will buy in the future the Kawai VPC-1 to trigger my Stage 2 sounds when I play classical pieces like that....But for any normal speed "waltz by Chopin" or Classical Back and so on, no worries with the Piano quality.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.

The author Quai34 was thanked by:
cenica
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby shark » 24 Mar 2017, 11:35

They're as good as you can expect but to my ears they all have an "electronic" aftersound. What I mean by that is as you hit a note and let it ring out you perceive an electronic ring that is of course absent in acoustic instruments. But overall in a group setting it goes unnoticed, and hey for the price you can't complain but I know "purist" piano players who prefer other brands for pianos.

The author shark was thanked by:
cenica
shark
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby eibinger » 24 Mar 2017, 12:56

I have a Kurzweil and a Nord5d and in some Casey Kurzweil ist better , sorry!
The Nord-Sounds are wonderfull in Studio, Kurzweil ist great on stage. But this is my impression.
But you should get a Nord Piano. The Nord5d as Waterfall-keys and the Nord5hp has "loud" Keys.
Tom
eibinger

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby derrellpiper » 24 Mar 2017, 18:09

I had a Kurzweil PC2x once upon a time and its pianos do sound fantastic, but I think the Piano 3 sounds really nice too. Funny you should mention Moonlight Sonata because I'm trying to learn the first movement right now. I have no chance of playing the third, I'm afraid. And this sonata amounts to a trance when you get the timing and accents right. On the Piano 3, it sounds absolutely fantastic in Royal Grand 3D XL and in Grand Upright XL with a little reverb or delay. It's harder to get a good piano sound out of the A1, and that's not what I expect out of it, but what I found is that its keyboard isn't up to the task. You end up on the black keys around the 9th measure and you tend to be pretty far back on them, at least I do. This doesn't really work on whatever key bed they're using in the A1. About 20% of the time, it seems, it's dropping key presses until you get back on some white keys. And without the dampers, missing a note like that breaks the trance rhythm. I've found it works a little better if I can manage to play forward on the keys, but even then, it's not completely reliable for me. I do not have this problem on the Piano 3. I have a used Lead 3 incoming to try and resolve this. I'm hoping the fact that it had Aftertouch indicates a better key bed was used in it. However my love affair with the A1 is over. I've moved onto actively disliking its keyboard intently, which is a bummer because it sounds so wonderful otherwise. But I don't see the point of keeping something in the studio with a keyboard that's so bad you don't want to play on it. I also treated myself to a used Rack 3, which is almost everything the A1 is but with much much better ergonomics.
Last edited by derrellpiper on 24 Mar 2017, 18:13, edited 2 times in total.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Return to Nord Electro Programs