Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Organ Keyboard for NE4HP

Postby InVinoVeritas » 02 May 2016, 14:35

Hi all! I am new to the forum and a noobie in the MIDI world. I have just bought a NE4HP and I am looking for a MIDI keyboard to complement the organ section of the instrument. I am consdering two options: a) a purely MIDI keyboard such as Studiologic VMK-161 Organ to make use of the "drawbars" and the waterfall action (as an extension of my Nord); b) Roland VR-09 or another keyboard which can function both as a MIDI controller and a separate organ. To what extent can VR-09 send and receive MIDI messages to NE4HP? I have also considered Casio PX-5S but also read that Nord's MIDI values and those of Roland do not overlap completely (and the Casio's keybed is closer to piano action). Does anybody have experience with MIDI mapping for VMK-161 Organ? The drawbars? The other functions on the board? Or would you recommend something else? Thank you very much.
Last edited by InVinoVeritas on 02 May 2016, 14:39, edited 5 times in total.
InVinoVeritas

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Organ Keyboard for NE4HP

Sponsor

Re: Organ Keyboard for NE4HP

Postby anotherscott » 22 Mar 2017, 17:29

Roland VR-09 drawbars do not send the MIDI CC commands that Nord needs (in fact, they don't send CC at all, they use Sysex). PX5S allows you to program the sliders to send whatever MIDI CC you want, but as you kind of point out, it's a poor action for organ, plus there are only 6 sliders (though there are also some knobs which might be usable as well). You want something where you can define which CC commands a board's sliders will send out (so you can set them to the numbers the Nord needs to see), and preferably, something with 9 sliders. If you want a lightweight low-cost board that also has its own sounds, the Casio XW-P1 should do it. There are also a number of soundless controllers. If you can manage with 8 sliders instead of 9, the Novation SL61 MKII has an action that a lot of people like. The Samson Graphite 49 (9 sliders) also feels pretty nice, though it's only 4 octaves, and the board doesn't have an expression pedal input. There are some other boards that have 9 sliders, you'll have to see what you think about the actions.

ETA: You might be able to use the VR-09 in conjunction with this box, which might work to convert the VR-09 drawbar sysex commands to the desired Nord CC commands
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm
Last edited by anotherscott on 23 Mar 2017, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
anotherscott

Return to Nord Electro Forum