All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Guitar DIed or miked?

Postby Quai34 » 21 Mar 2017, 00:26

Hi,
The last two gigs we did, the guitars were from amps, for stage monitor but as well as front PA...The sound was not good, too directive. Usually, do you put a Mic on your guitar amp or do you use an Internal DI (Given the Amps have one...) or using a DI before the guitar Amp...
Just let me know
Bye
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Guitar DIed or miked?

Sponsor

Re: Guitar DIed or miked?

Postby Eumel » 21 Mar 2017, 01:37

Hi,

You definitely get a fatter sound when putting a mic in front of the speaker. A simple Shure SM57 is a good choice and not sensitive for feedback. It also can cope with high levels.

Have fun,

Eumel
Nord Stage 4 88
Nord Electro 6 compact

The author Eumel was thanked by:
Quai34
Eumel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Quai34 » 21 Mar 2017, 02:26

Ok Eumel Thanks. Any Gigs in the past while I was responsible for the PA as Well, I was using DI for the bass but the guitars were without any sound re-enforcement. I will see if we have room for a Mic plus the DI in the mixer, might be the good solution. My guitarist is telling that he doesn't need it, there enough bleeding in the vocal. It's....yes. For sure, that's what I'm trying to avoid....
Yes, I have a Sm58 that I use on the Snare, maybe I will invest in an Audix I5 that seems to be even better than the SM58 for Snare, then I could use the SM for one Guitar. Thanks
Sincerely
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby harmonizer » 21 Mar 2017, 05:13

I run the board for our covers band. For me, the choice depends on whether the guitarist uses his amp as an instrument or merely as an amplifying device. Our rhythm guitarist is the former case, so we put a mic on his cab. Our other guitarist who plays the solos, and the lead line fills between the vocal lines, is the latter case, and for him we just take a line out from his amp.

When putting a mic in front of a cab, you really have to play around with the mic placement (both distance and alignment) in order to capture the sound right. Generally off center placement is best.

The author harmonizer was thanked by:
Quai34
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby stiiiiiiive » 21 Mar 2017, 20:39

My experience is that except for electro-acoustic guitars or rare, weird sound intentions (the fuzzed guitar direct in mixer like in the Beatles' Revolution), DIs do not work very good for guitars. The amp, especially the cabinet, plays quite a part of the resulting sound. Hence I prefer amping.

BUT... as sometimes the venue is small or you'd prefer not to carry a combo, I had very good results with amp simulations featuring a cabinet model. I've been using in particular Tech21 SansAmp and Character series. These can be used just like DIs but the sound they deliver is just like the one of an amp. Handy, not very expensive, sounds good: to be considered.

My two cents.
Minkovski FB
Toxic Overdrive Deezer
DNOT Deezer FB

The author stiiiiiiive was thanked by:
Quai34
stiiiiiiive

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Return to Accessories and Amplification