Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

MIDI between Stage 2 EX and Roland System-8

Postby natethebold » 13 Mar 2017, 18:46

Hi everybody,

I'm using a Stage 2 EX and a Roland System-8. Does anyone have experience using MIDI between these two keyboards? I have some questions about how to set the MIDI connections between them.

In particular, I'm having difficulty getting the Stage 2 EX to control the System-8. I've read the manual, but I find it hard to follow in some areas. There appear to be so many options and methods for how to do this, that I don't know which approach to use. I'm having trouble with what I think are basic MIDI capabilities.

For example... I can get the Roland to make sounds when I press the EXTERN On/Off button and touch the keys on the NORD. But how do I get the Parameter encoder knob to control the Volume of the Roland? Also, how do I get Program Change and MIDI CC to work? The Parameter knob does not appear to do anything when I press Prog Change or MIDI CC, although I don't know for sure because I don't know how to set these up or use them. And what MIDI setting values are needed on the Roland?

FYI: I'm new to this. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
-Nate
natethebold

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

MIDI between Stage 2 EX and Roland System-8

Sponsor

Re: MIDI between Stage 2 EX and Roland System-8

Postby maxpiano » 13 Mar 2017, 19:59

Hi Nate, check out the NS MIDI Tutorial available in the Download section of this Forum, it will all be much more cler and easy ;)

With regards the second part of your question, it is better you try to get familiar with MIDI in general (there are some good tutorials, just Google for them) and its Control Change and Program Change messages including Bank Select messages (which are also configurable parameters of the Extern section) and you need to study also the MIDI Implementation section of your System 8 manual, first.

I think it is better to learn MIDI with a general approach rather than by single Q&A, it will help you to use it better and solve other challenges without having to ask and wait.
Last edited by maxpiano on 13 Mar 2017, 20:06, edited 5 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby natethebold » 14 Mar 2017, 04:46

maxpiano: Thanks for your advice. I will be sure to do that.

...Having said that, if anybody reading this knows the specific answer of Q: How do I control Volume of my Roland System-8 via using Extern Parameter knob? I would very much appreciate learning that info.

Cheers,
Nate
natethebold

Postby maxpiano » 14 Mar 2017, 07:46

The answer is in the NS2 Manual...

First of all set Extern mode to as Program (not Global) so you can save different Extern settings in each NS2 Program

You can then set an initial Volume that will be sent on load (if SendOnLoad is active):

Extern MIDI A/B Volume
The Extern section can send MIDI Volume messages (0-127), allowing you to control the level of an external device
Range: Off (Default), 0-127

then change it live by selecting the Volume (insteaad of Program Change or MIDI CC) Parameter in the Extern section (press the button under the 3 leds...) and moving the knob.

Of course this works if you are transmitting on the correct MIDI Channel (depending on System 8 settings) and if System 8 accepts/uses that MIDI Volume (CC7) message.
Last edited by maxpiano on 14 Mar 2017, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby natethebold » 16 Mar 2017, 18:07

maxpiano: Ahh, I see. I was using Global rather than Program under Extern settings. I will try that out.
Thank you!
-Nate
natethebold

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum