Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Hum on Lead 2x but only when using stereo outputs?

Postby gushtone » 22 Feb 2017, 05:15

Hi all,

I am a guitarist by trade, so forgive my ignorance. I have Lead 2x I use for tracking. It has a bad hum on the B channel when I use both A and B outputs for a stereo track. If I pull the A track and use only B the hum goes away, and there is no hum using only A. It has done this since I have owned it (5 years or so?) but I have always just gone mono. Now I need the stereo tracks for certain applications.

Has anyone seen this before? It is an unsuitable level of hum for tracking. Can anyone suggest a road to resolution?

Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Peace,
gushtone
`~~~~~"<
gushtone

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Hum on Lead 2x but only when using stereo outputs?

Sponsor

Re: Hum on Lead 2x but only when using stereo outputs?

Postby Muied Lumens » 22 Feb 2017, 16:19

Use the headphone output. You will need a splitter cable, stereo to dual mono, sometimes called an Insert cable. If you need 4 outs and the C/D out still work as normal, they should be independent from the headphone out if I remember correctly. You need to route the slots appropriately in the shift menus.

Not sure about the hum issue... I assume you have tried different cables and also plugged the Nord into a different interface/amp? It could be a simple issue to solve if you look inside the Nord, but only if you have the confidence.
Last edited by Muied Lumens on 22 Feb 2017, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

The author Muied Lumens was thanked by:
Marlowes
Muied Lumens

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Postby gushtone » 23 Feb 2017, 22:20

Thanks very much. I tried the phones out last night and got the same result (which is odd!). I think I'll need to crack it open.

I did consider ground loops as I am running each channel through a separate Neve 1073 style mic pre, but this gear is all running on the same circuit in my studio.

Anyone else have a thought?

Peace...
`~~~~~"<
gushtone

Postby gushtone » 23 Feb 2017, 22:21

PS: this has been happening since I owned it and yes, I have used many cables and interfaces between my studio and my friends...
gushtone

Postby pterm » 08 Mar 2017, 21:56

gushtone wrote: It has a bad hum on the B channel when I use both A and B outputs for a stereo track. If I pull the A track and use only B the hum goes away, and there is no hum using only A. It has done this since I have owned it (5 years or so?) but I have always just gone mono. Now I need the stereo tracks for certain applications.

Has anyone seen this before? It is an unsuitable level of hum for tracking. Can anyone suggest a road to resolution?

If you can post a sample containing the hum, the frequency content may give a clue to the source and hopefully the cause of this.
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum