Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Send CC

Postby Psysenz » 06 Mar 2017, 15:10

under the midi menu there is "Send CC" , "Dump One" , and "Dump Program Bank".

I am interested in "Send CC" . The manual just says "press Execute to begin transmission"

I did that, but i don't know where the info dump goes to.
Can anyone tell me how to find and or recieve these dumps?
do i need a special program or something?

thanks'
Sen
Psysenz

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Send CC

Sponsor

Re: Send CC

Postby rickk » 06 Mar 2017, 23:01

As far as i remember you have to install Nord Lead Sound Manager that you will find on Clavia site.
rickk

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Postby kroffe » 07 Mar 2017, 00:58

CC dump can be recorded from the midi out port connected to midi in on your soundcard, preferably into your DAW. Or if you use the sysex option into your sysex librarian program.

The author kroffe was thanked by:
Marlowes
kroffe

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular

Postby Psysenz » 08 Mar 2017, 02:33

Thanks to both of you.

I havn't had a chance to try it yet, but do you happen to know if it has to be from the midi out port? Or will it work over USB Midi? The way i have it set up now.

thanks
Sen
Psysenz

Postby Muziksculp » 08 Mar 2017, 02:39

What exactly does a CC dump mean ?

CC data being the various realtime controller messages being output by a midi device. What is this CC dump used for ?

I know Sysex Dumps can store your program, or banks data, but what about CC (Realtime Data dumps) , how are they useful, or actually used after they are sent out via a CC Dump , basically how is this function useful ?
Last edited by Muziksculp on 08 Mar 2017, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.
Muziksculp

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Psysenz » 08 Mar 2017, 03:49

I'm looking for cc messages that might not be in the manual. I want to cc the Morph Wheel/Pedal button on my A1. But its not in the manual. I'm working on a midi controller in Reaktor and trying to recreate the A1.

I don't think it is real time. I'm hoping it is a static dump of all available messages. The manual says "Dump all program parameters of the currently focused program as MIDI Control Change Messages."

So i am hoping for a list of all cc changes possible.
Last edited by Psysenz on 08 Mar 2017, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
Psysenz

Postby Execbat » 08 Mar 2017, 04:43

Muziksculp wrote:I know Sysex Dumps can store your program, or banks data, but what about CC (Realtime Data dumps) , how are they useful, or actually used after they are sent out via a CC Dump , basically how is this function useful ?

If you work with a DAW sequencer, it's a fast way to record all parameter data to automation clips. To make sure everything is at the desired value when you hit play at a certain point, regardless of what was written in the sequencer before that or what was set in the instrument. And it's more conveniert to draw automations if you see the value set before. Otherwise cc data is only written as soon as you move a knob during record.
Execbat

Postby Psysenz » 08 Mar 2017, 04:51

that makes sense too :thumbup:

so it acts as a reset
Last edited by Psysenz on 08 Mar 2017, 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
Psysenz

Postby Muziksculp » 08 Mar 2017, 05:24

Execbat wrote:
Muziksculp wrote:I know Sysex Dumps can store your program, or banks data, but what about CC (Realtime Data dumps) , how are they useful, or actually used after they are sent out via a CC Dump , basically how is this function useful ?

If you work with a DAW sequencer, it's a fast way to record all parameter data to automation clips. To make sure everything is at the desired value when you hit play at a certain point, regardless of what was written in the sequencer before that or what was set in the instrument. And it's more conveniert to draw automations if you see the value set before. Otherwise cc data is only written as soon as you move a knob during record.

Oh.. I see.

But if a specific CC# is not tweaked during the DAW recording, it will have the value it was set at the start of the recording (Initial Value / poistion of that specific parameter/knob ) when you pressed REC in your DAW ? (Correct ?)

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Muziksculp

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Execbat » 08 Mar 2017, 13:39

Usually not, because the DAW does not "know" the value of the parameter then. If you record from bar 1, and not touch, say, the filter freq knob (cc 74) which is set at, say, value 50; then stop the sequencer, then change the filter frequency to 70 - then the filter will still be at 70 if you go back to bar 1 and push play (to record the audio). If you had dumped the cc data at the start it would revert back to 50.
Also note that if you move a knob during playback (not recording), it will detatch (jump) from the sequenced value and not follow any automation until start/stop.
At least that is my observation of how things usually work. I'm not an expert there.
Execbat

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum