All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Nord Electro 5 active Monitor

Postby balhd » 26 Dec 2016, 14:51

Hello,

I read a lot in here and in other forums about the "right" amplification for my Nord Electro Keyboard and right now I know about a lot of possibilities like the spacestation, qsc/electro voice/jbl/alto series speakers for amplification ... but at the moment I am not looking for the perfect solution but something with a clear tone, for playing at home in a moderate volume.. stereo is not a must, Id like to buy an active monitor to use it on stage, or in the rehearsel room with my band, (we have a pa, which sounds totally s*** through the monitors we have) ... so is there a recommandation from u guys up to 300 Euros, where i can get a decent sound of it for jamming at home + rehearsing with the band?
something like this https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Fam ... 006859-000

or should i just buy one monitor from those series mentioned like one monitor https://www.thomann.de/gb/ev_zlx_12p.htm ?

grateful for some advice/help
merry christmas
balhd

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Nord Electro 5 active Monitor

Sponsor

Re: Nord Electro 5 active Monitor

Postby harmonizer » 26 Dec 2016, 18:21

I am not familiar with the "Fame Audio" as something that people use as a powered speaker with keyboard instruments. I would try to steer you towards brands that are more known to produce good powered speakers for acoustic piano sounds (this seems to be the hardest test for keyboard amplification). To me the Electrovoice is more known, and I use an Electrovoice ZX-A1 as a powered speaker with my Nord Electro 3. I very much like the sound quality and the low weight of my ZX-A1. I also have heard of many who use and like the spacestation or qsc with their electronic keyboards.

One thing to consider is that Nord keyboards tend to send a lower level signal from their line out than is the case for other electronic keyboard instruments, and that Electrovoice tends to have less gain than some other powered speakers. Some people even have said they put a small electronic mixer in between their Nord keyboard and their Electrovoice powered speaker to compensate for this.

For me, this gain issue does not matter, because I never use my ZX-A1 as a PA speaker to provide the music that the audience hears. Instead I use it only as a stage monitor, with a line out going from my ZX-A1 to our band's mixing board, to route my keyboard's sound through our PA and to the audience. This gain issue might matter for you if you intend to use your active monitor to send the music directly to your audience's ears.

I would suggest you give a lot of thought to whether you want to run in mono or in stereo, both now or in the future. My personal choice is mono, because I believe it is more reliable to send a mono sound to the audience at a live gig, from the Front Of Hall (FOH) speakers, and I want my stage monitor to match what the audience is hearing. I am probably in the minority on this, and there are many who believe having your keyboard monitors run in stereo is the best choice. Some people believe it is best to monitor in stereo, even if your band is sending a mono mix to the FOH.

Even though I am in the "mono camp", I would suggest that if you care about what you hear while playing at home by yourself, as opposed to playing live performances with a band, this would tend to favor going with the stereo option. Most of the acoustic piano sounds from Nord (i.e. Silver Grand, Italian Grand) are optimized for stereo, and in my opinion are not very good in mono. I believe the very recently released "Royal Grand" piano is the first one from Nord that provides a good acoustic piano in mono (Thank you, Nord!).
Last edited by harmonizer on 26 Dec 2016, 18:23, edited 2 times in total.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby balhd » 26 Dec 2016, 22:22

harmonizer wrote:I am not familiar with the "Fame Audio" as something that people use as a powered speaker with keyboard instruments. I would try to steer you towards brands that are more known to produce good powered speakers for acoustic piano sounds (this seems to be the hardest test for keyboard amplification). To me the Electrovoice is more known, and I use an Electrovoice ZX-A1 as a powered speaker with my Nord Electro 3. I very much like the sound quality and the low weight of my ZX-A1. I also have heard of many who use and like the spacestation or qsc with their electronic keyboards.

One thing to consider is that Nord keyboards tend to send a lower level signal from their line out than is the case for other electronic keyboard instruments, and that Electrovoice tends to have less gain than some other powered speakers. Some people even have said they put a small electronic mixer in between their Nord keyboard and their Electrovoice powered speaker to compensate for this.

For me, this gain issue does not matter, because I never use my ZX-A1 as a PA speaker to provide the music that the audience hears. Instead I use it only as a stage monitor, with a line out going from my ZX-A1 to our band's mixing board, to route my keyboard's sound through our PA and to the audience. This gain issue might matter for you if you intend to use your active monitor to send the music directly to your audience's ears.

I would suggest you give a lot of thought to whether you want to run in mono or in stereo, both now or in the future. My personal choice is mono, because I believe it is more reliable to send a mono sound to the audience at a live gig, from the Front Of Hall (FOH) speakers, and I want my stage monitor to match what the audience is hearing. I am probably in the minority on this, and there are many who believe having your keyboard monitors run in stereo is the best choice. Some people believe it is best to monitor in stereo, even if your band is sending a mono mix to the FOH.

Even though I am in the "mono camp", I would suggest that if you care about what you hear while playing at home by yourself, as opposed to playing live performances with a band, this would tend to favor going with the stereo option. Most of the acoustic piano sounds from Nord (i.e. Silver Grand, Italian Grand) are optimized for stereo, and in my opinion are not very good in mono. I believe the very recently released "Royal Grand" piano is the first one from Nord that provides a good acoustic piano in mono (Thank you, Nord!).

thank u! I will keep that gain-problem in mind; in fact piano acoustic sounds are the least interesting for me, as I dont use them often on my waterfall keys; I'm mainly using the rest like rhodes/organ/synth samples but also like those upright bass samples ...
I Could live with mono very well, so I might check out again the zx-a1's

more opinions are ofc welcomed :)
balhd

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby MvanD » 28 Dec 2016, 00:36

I like my Mackie SRM 350's.
Last edited by MvanD on 28 Dec 2016, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
MvanD
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby JBeckola » 31 Jan 2017, 20:28

I would suggest the Center Point SS3, paired with the Behringer 12" sub. I use the SS3 for smaller rooms, then add the sub for bigger venues. I previously used a Traynor K4 and that was fine, but this setup is far better. If you read the specs for the SS3, you may be put off, initially. I know I was. 100 watts? An 8" speaker? No way! But then I took a leap of faith and ordered it. Initially as a backup amp. My K4 worked fine, but is about 80 lbs. Then after hearing the SS3, I decide to add the Sub. It is now my main rig.
Way easier to move, but the bottom line is: Great sound! Expect to pay $800 for the SS3 and $300 for the sub, but it's worth every penny. Let me state for the record that I have had several other *name brand* amps and while they all worked, not all sounded great. Finally the light bulb switched on. I have spent close to $7,500 on my keyboard rig and I'm running a $500 amp? I now have a different mindset. Whatever it costs, it's worth it.

The author JBeckola was thanked by:
ogunter
JBeckola

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby ogunter » 04 Feb 2017, 16:26

To JBeckola, first of all, I have to say that your forum name really made me chuckle, I wonder how many people remember that album.
Anyhow, appreciated your comments about the Behringer. I also have a SpaceStation with Electro. and have felt that I needed that bottom.
So good to hear that you think it is a good thing. Just wondering if you also, ever go through the mains at a gig or if your setup makes it no longer necessary to
go through the mains. Thanks
ogunter

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby cphollis » 06 Mar 2017, 05:19

JBeckola wrote:I would suggest the Center Point SS3, paired with the Behringer 12" sub. I use the SS3 for smaller rooms, then add the sub for bigger venues. I previously used a Traynor K4 and that was fine, but this setup is far better. If you read the specs for the SS3, you may be put off, initially. I know I was. 100 watts? An 8" speaker? No way! But then I took a leap of faith and ordered it. Initially as a backup amp. My K4 worked fine, but is about 80 lbs. Then after hearing the SS3, I decide to add the Sub. It is now my main rig.
Way easier to move, but the bottom line is: Great sound! Expect to pay $800 for the SS3 and $300 for the sub, but it's worth every penny. Let me state for the record that I have had several other *name brand* amps and while they all worked, not all sounded great. Finally the light bulb switched on. I have spent close to $7,500 on my keyboard rig and I'm running a $500 amp? I now have a different mindset. Whatever it costs, it's worth it.

Dude, welcome to the club. Amplification matters. The SSv3 is the real deal for so many bar gigs.

That being said, I have my more advanced toys I can bring when circumstances permit :)
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Return to Accessories and Amplification