Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

NEVER DELETE ALL SAMPLES (v1.40) fixed by v1.44

Postby Hanon_CTS » 28 Sep 2011, 13:57

Hello All,
one of the members has discovered and Nord has confirmed that there is an OS bug (v1.40) which could prevent the Nord Piano from booting properly if all piano samples are deleted or erased. Until this is corrected in a future update, please keep at least one sample in the instrument.
For additional reading see this thread:
nord-piano-forum-f10/nord-piano-os-corrupted-t1426.html
Cheers, Hanon

edit:
apparently this has been fixed by OS v1.44
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

NEVER DELETE ALL SAMPLES (v1.40) fixed by v1.44

Sponsor

Re: NEVER DELETE ALL SAMPLES (v1.40)

Postby MrMark1977 » 28 Sep 2011, 15:15

Thanks for that Hanon,

Further to what you said, I was the person that had the bug, and I'll just paste the email that was sent to me:

"Hi Mark

I've heard that you have replaced the Piano with a Stage 2, but I still wanted to let you know that we have found the cause of this error. This happened because the 1.40 OS could not start up properly if there were no Pianos in the unit. I only wish I'd have caught this bug, since you gave the necessary clues in your report.

This will of course be addressed in an update, I am very sorry for any frustration that this have caused you.

Best regards,
Tomas Johansson
Product Manager - Clavia DMI AB"

The problem I think will only happen if you have no samples in there AND you turn the Nord off and on again. Cee, one of the forum posters, informed me in the other thread he's had zero instruments on it before and it was working, but I'm not sure whether he actually turned the nord off and on again whilst having zero instruments.

Just before my Nord messed up, I had deleted all the instruments, and with it still on, it was still connecting to the sound manager fine - it's when the transfer of my first instrument went back on, and I thought it had frozen (maybe I was wrong or right about that) and reset the Nord - that's when the problem kicked in, when it was turned off and on again with no instruments in, from then on, I was never able to get a proper connection again.

It may be the case that it doesn't always happen, even with a reset with no sounds in, but all I can advise is, it's not worth the risk, when it's easy enough to just keep one tiny instrument in there.

ps: I'm not sure where he got the rumor I was getting a Stage 2 instead! Who knows how these rumors start! But I'm glad he got back to me and confirmed I wasn't going mad...I certainly would have felt stupid shipping my Nord back, if it had been me doing something wrong...and kinda glad it's happened now, because this is exactly the kind of thing they will be likely to make sure doesn't happen in future updates.

Cheers!
Last edited by MrMark1977 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
MrMark1977

Postby MrMark1977 » 08 Oct 2011, 16:07

Can I just add too, if anyone comes to this page because the bug happened to them, and they found this through google, then before sending it away to be repaired or replaced, try and get hold of an earlier operating system, say 1.30 (if that was the last one), in fact any earlier operating system (and maybe the earlier sound manager to accompany it) should do, get one instrument back on the Nord, and then install the latest 1.40 version.

I can't be sure if this would have worked because I sent mine back before I ever found an earlier operating system for it. But given that it has been noticed that there is a bug in 1.40, it stands to reason that an earlier version of the OS would enable you to get an instrument back on the piano, before putting 1.40 back on - at which point it would connect fine, having an instrument on it.

If you've switched off and on your Nord Piano with no instruments on, and it won't connect to the computer, hold down 'shift' and 'store' and turn the Nord on, it will say 'ready to receive', and it will connect to your computer allowing you to install an earlier OS if you can get hold of it. Note, just reinstalling 1.40 OS as I was doing in this case, won't work, because it's 1.40 that has the bug that won't allow a normal usb connection with no instruments in the piano.
Last edited by MrMark1977 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.

The author MrMark1977 was thanked by:
Hanon_CTS
MrMark1977

Postby Johannes » 13 Oct 2011, 15:50

Apparently, it got fixed by the new OS release 1.44:
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?t ... te_History
Last edited by Johannes on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum