The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

MIDI channel separation to Piano Module

Postby The Franchise » 27 Feb 2017, 17:39

C2D MIDI channel defaults (Ch 1 - upper, Ch 2 - lower, Ch 3 - 1st 2 octaves on lower when selecting 'Pedal To Great'). I MIDI connected to a piano tone module, set it to MIDI Channel 2 - hoping to control it strictly by lower manual (upper section). Result is, both upper manual and both sections of lower manual manual trigger sound on the module. Interestingly, when I change patches on the module, only the notes played on the lower manual translate to the 'new' sound. Upper manual continues to just play patch 1. Any thoughts ? I'm about to return the piano module, thinking it just doesn't interface well with the C2D. Just wanted to see if there was a MIDI setting I was missing on the C2D?
The Franchise

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

MIDI channel separation to Piano Module

Sponsor

Re: MIDI channel separation to Piano Module

Postby maxpiano » 27 Feb 2017, 20:45

Which piano module is it? from your description it sounds like it is multitimbral and so receiving on multiple channels...
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby The Franchise » 27 Feb 2017, 21:47

S-Engine MIDI PLUS. Very similar to the Pianobox II. Has a "channel" selection button that allows you to specify channel. So, I'm thinking "not" multitimbral, right ?
The Franchise

Postby maxpiano » 28 Feb 2017, 01:21

MIDIPLUS S-Engine, E-MU 8030-based sound-engine with 128-voice polyphony Over 192 built in sounds featuring 64 custom E-MU classic keys programs and a full GM bank with drums 128-voice polyphony 16-part multitimbral synthesizer Reverb and Chorus effects 4-segment display, hi-Z guitar input (1/4" jack), play/stop button, 10 key buttons, MIDI I/O, line out (1/4" jack), headphone output (mini-jack), USB Connection.

Now repeat the mantra : "RTFM is not an offense, is a good friendly advice" :mrgreen:
Last edited by maxpiano on 28 Feb 2017, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby The Franchise » 28 Feb 2017, 15:26

True Dat! My miss. OK so,,,,, (demonstrating my MIDI challenged brain) .. What's the use of the the MIDI Channel selector for? How then can I use that or any other piano module, (assuming they're all likely multi - T), and send note messages "ONLY" from the C2D lower manual (upper octaves)?? (Channel 2) .
The Franchise

Postby harmonizer » 28 Feb 2017, 15:59

To figure out what the MIDI Channel selector is for, I would need to read the manual. I tried but was not able to locate a copy of the manual online. The "midiplus.com" web site is considered unsafe by my PC's security product, so I am not going to look there. I found a manual for the Pianobox product from a German web site, but that does not seem to be the correct product.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby maxpiano » 28 Feb 2017, 17:27

The Franchise wrote:True Dat! My miss. OK so,,,,, (demonstrating my MIDI challenged brain) .. What's the use of the the MIDI Channel selector for? How then can I use that or any other piano module, (assuming they're all likely multi - T), and send note messages "ONLY" from the C2D lower manual (upper octaves)?? (Channel 2) .

For the first question, you should check the manual; for the second, simply set all other parts to Channels other than 1,2,3 (or switch them off, if possible, again see what the manual says about it).

If that module is not flexible enough to allow those settings, consider buying a different one that is single channel/part and/or allows that flexibility (check the specs and manual before buying).

Last option, put a MIDI filter (dedicated box or via a Computer/iPad) in between that will block MIDI messages of all channels except 2.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby The Franchise » 28 Feb 2017, 18:02

Hey thanks all the thoughts put into this, Max. The manual was as useless as the online site info. Bottom line - The unit would be a good, inexpensive addition to someone looking to grab GM sounds. But for my application - NFG.
Best!
The Franchise

Postby maxpiano » 28 Feb 2017, 20:46

The Franchise wrote:Hey thanks all the thoughts put into this, Max. The manual was as useless as the online site info. Bottom line - The unit would be a good, inexpensive addition to someone looking to grab GM sounds. But for my application - NFG.
Best!

I do think so too, maybe it's time for you to go and get some FG one! :thumbup:
Last edited by maxpiano on 28 Feb 2017, 22:36, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum