The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Nord C1 MIDI System Exclusive

Postby Steve01282 » 27 Feb 2017, 20:02

Hi guys, I've been a Nord player for 5 years or so but this is my first post!

I have a C1 and a Roland Juno DS88 both controlled by Set List Maker from my iPad which does the program change for both (great app!).

In a couple of songs that I play, I need to transpose the song - easy on the DS88 as I can alter the coarse tuning and store it. However, on the Nord, I need to enter the System menu and alter the transpose manually and then change back after the song; inevitably I'm gonna forget to do this and on stage this would be a disaster!

My question is whether from my iPad app (which can send System Exclusive messages) I can send a System Exclusive message to my Nord to transpose it. Anyone got ideas how to do this and what the System Exclusive message needs to contain?

Cheers, Steve
Steve01282

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Nord C1 MIDI System Exclusive

Sponsor

Re: Nord C1 MIDI System Exclusive

Postby The Franchise » 27 Feb 2017, 22:30

Why not just transpose the song at its source, no need to mess with either synth ?
The Franchise

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

Postby Steve01282 » 27 Feb 2017, 23:46

I take it that you mean that I relearn the song in the key that we play the song in...
Steve01282

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Postby The Franchise » 28 Feb 2017, 15:33

Ah, well sure - there's that option. As you say, it's only a 'couple' songs but, I get it- real PIA. I thought since you were using an I-Pad and applications, that you were playing sequences, not live. Hmmm, the manual shows all the MIDI paramaters for front panel "buttons and controls", but not for system 'menu' items.
The Franchise

Re: Nord C1/C2D System changes via MIDI

Postby kdmpeets » 27 Jul 2018, 05:24

It would be a welcome enhancement to the Nord C2D o/s to be able to transpose by sending control events via midi from an iPad app. The Korg Px4a does this well. I have all our songs (Chords, Lyrics) in the Bandhelper iPad app with midi presets for each song to send to the Korg Pa4x, basically selecting a pre-saved song record containing all the various instrument sounds and other parameters required including any transpositions. This kind of function is not currently available for the Nord C2D; but, if Korg can do it,is should be real easy for the Nord techs to change the o/s to change system settings via midi.
kdmpeets

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum