Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: The Nord Piano wishlist

Postby michael_C1 » 08 Feb 2017, 21:32

It's been said already. I'd love to see a far better action than Fatar makes on an instrument this expensive with such great sounds. Yamaha, Kawai and Roland produce their own actions, why can't Clavia do the same, or else have an action made to their specs. I'm assuming it wouldn't be cost effective, but one can hope.

I'm likely in the minority, but I like the Yamaha GHS action which is fairly light just fine, more than I like the Fatar TP40. That action is in Yamaha's 'bottom of the line' P series digital pianos starting at $450. That's crazy! But of course the sound is nothing much.

People can argue that the TP40 is better than the low end Yamaha actions, but compared to the Fatar TP100 (which is in the Nord HP's), the lowly Yamaha GHS action is so much better it's ridiculous. Currently, I midi up my Nord Electro 5 to a Yamaha P35 and while it's not ideal it's pretty good.
michael_C1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Sponsor

Postby Boatguy » 16 Feb 2017, 05:52

hernan1304 wrote:
Boatguy wrote:3) We should be able to rename sounds/sample files. The factory names are inconsistent (just look at the naming of the 8 factory e-pianos) and make poor use of the available display space.

Pretty sure you can do that through sound manager (I could be wrong, but I remember deciding recently to not rename the sounds because then I wouldn't remember which sound on the library it corresponds with).

Yes, you can rename it in the Sound Manager. But you can't rename the files to correspond to your new names. Apparently the Nord name is buried in the file somewhere and some part of the Sound Manager depends on it. When I renamed files to match my names it essentially broke the Sound Manager so I had revert everything.

We should be able to rename everything because the Nord naming is entirely inconsistent. Just look at the electric piano names. EPiano 1-4 are pretty consistent, then there is EP5 and EP6, and then Epiano7. Three different naming "conventions". Sloppy.
Nord Piano 3

The author Boatguy was thanked by:
jdwosh
Boatguy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby SteveNordP3 » 12 Mar 2017, 06:30

Having used the P3 for over a month now, here's my wish list:

#1 by far - use anything but the Fatar keyboard. With the unbelievably gorgeous and inspirational piano samples available by Nord, the potential promise of expression from a GREAT keyboard is frustratingly just out of reach with this Fatar keyboard. What a shame. I've had Yamaha and Roland digital pianos whose feel is FAR superior to the Fatar...such a loss!!

#2 - even more piano memory - honestly - I'd love to just have the whole library of all pianos available all the time.

#3 - allow edits of samples to just assign them to certain areas of the keyboard. I like to layer sounds and want the ability to layer (for example) a bass sound with a piano but have the bass play in the lower two octaves and nowhere else. Frustrating to not be able to do that.

Even with these suggestions - the piano sounds are simply the absolute best ever. The NP3 is still the holy grail to me, warts and all.
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby hernan1304 » 06 Apr 2017, 20:14

Unbelievable that the new Stage 3 will have double the piano memory as compared to the PIANO 3....
hernan1304

Postby Boatguy » 26 Apr 2017, 04:25

hernan1304 wrote:Unbelievable that the new Stage 3 will have double the piano memory as compared to the PIANO 3....

Yes! Maybe this some very expensive sort of memory, but how is it my $700 phone has 128GB and my $3,000 keyboard only 1GB?
Nord Piano 3
Boatguy

Postby mon8169 » 26 Apr 2017, 09:36

Boatguy wrote:
hernan1304 wrote:Unbelievable that the new Stage 3 will have double the piano memory as compared to the PIANO 3....

Yes! Maybe this some very expensive sort of memory, but how is it my $700 phone has 128GB and my $3,000 keyboard only 1GB?

You don't use all the 128GB at the same time, isn't it? In your $3,000 keyboard all the 1GB memory is loaded at the start and remain ready to use at any time.

Ramon
Cheers!
Ramon

Nord Stage Classic 76, Cantabile with Pianoteq, IK Hammond B-3X, NI B4-II and others.
mon8169
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby Rychubil » 13 Jul 2017, 01:43

I'm still waiting for bit heavier and more classical version of NP, like Fatar TP40 wood for example.
Also I desire XL version of Steinway model B sample.
Kawai VPC1 | Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR80i
Rychubil

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby Boatguy » 18 Oct 2017, 00:14

It takes forever (ok, 6 minutes) to change out a piano. So when I shuffle my pianos, it takes 30-45 minutes. I'm guessing the memory is very slow because the USB connection is much faster than that.

So my wish is for faster memory so it takes less time. Or just a whole bunch more memory so I can load everything and never have to shuffle in/out.
Nord Piano 3
Boatguy

Postby rickb » 31 Dec 2017, 18:52

Hi all, this is my first post here.

I've had my NP3 for a week. Love it!

Here are some suggestions for software-only changes (which could therefore come in an new OS version)

1. Add support to synth sounds to receive MIDI pitch-bend, modulation and aftertouch messages. (Obviously, these would only be playable from an external MIDI source because the NP3 doesn't have the hardware.) This would be useful in studio situations.

2. Add depth control to effects 1&2: by holding Shift, effects 1 & 2 rate knobs would have an added function of setting the depth of the effect (the Deep button would still be useful too)

3. Effects 1 & 2 depth value would have MIDI support through a new CC number for each of them.

Other issues:
* In terms of hardware aspiration, I'm slightly unimpressed by the 1G/256M memory onboard - it's not really enough.
* Others have complained about the USB upload/download speed. Yup, this is soooo last decade.

Otherwise, it's a good machine.
rickb

Postby rickb » 31 Dec 2017, 19:17

The Nord Sound Manager user interface doesn't allow any grouping by button. The five program buttons are an important feature of the NP3 controls, but are blissfully absent from NSM. This doesn't make sense.

In NSM, it would be a great help to have an option to view/organise programs in FIVE columns, as well as one column. Then it would be easier to organise them so that the right programs are found easily and quickly.

The dual column mode might not be needed then (although it serves a different purpose I suppose).
Last edited by rickb on 31 Dec 2017, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
rickb

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum