Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

B3 plus bass

Postby Travisc123 » 11 Feb 2017, 10:00

Hey all, new to this site. I just bought a Nord E5D 73 and love it. However, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck implementing the b3+bass on the lower part with either piano or sample synth on the right. The Nord website seems to claim that you can do it but I haven't figured out how, it only seems to work with organ. I tried just doing a split with piano/synth on upper and 80800000 on lower as a workaround, but it's much less beefy and seems to change pitch below the 2nd to bottom C note (I have a 73). If I could figure out how to do the b3+bass with other sounds besides organ, I could replace my Roland RD700GX with the Nord for a lot of my left hand bass gigs. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Travisc123

B3 plus bass

Sponsor

Re: B3 plus bass

Postby El Lobo » 12 Feb 2017, 21:24

Hmm. I'm no expert but I think that the B3+bass is already a split so you can't split B3+bass on the lower and have piano on the upper. You can split organ and piano and then set the organ octave as low as possible. You could also put one of the synth basses in the lower split. My friend does that. He's a killer keys player and he puts the string bass sound in the left hand and one of the grand pianos in the right hand. Sounds very nice. There are other basses too.

If anybody else has more info about this, please chime in.
Last edited by El Lobo on 13 Feb 2017, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
El Lobo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby analogika » 13 Feb 2017, 13:35

Travisc123 wrote:Hey all, new to this site. I just bought a Nord E5D 73 and love it. However, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck implementing the b3+bass on the lower part with either piano or sample synth on the right. The Nord website seems to claim that you can do it but I haven't figured out how, it only seems to work with organ. I tried just doing a split with piano/synth on upper and 80800000 on lower as a workaround, but it's much less beefy and seems to change pitch below the 2nd to bottom C note (I have a 73). If I could figure out how to do the b3+bass with other sounds besides organ, I could replace my Roland RD700GX with the Nord for a lot of my left hand bass gigs. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

The "changing pitch" is called "foldback". The Hammond generator on all original Hammonds is not physically capable of producing those lowest notes, so the partial tones from an octave above are repeated. All hammonds do this, even on the bass pedals.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby getintune » 14 Feb 2017, 22:40

Not quite: All the tone wheels are there. On early models they worked on the keyboards. Then they changed the shape of the tone wheels to get a "richer" sound. They were then available for the pedals only. The keyboards "folded back" as described. Some players got the missing tones put back on the lower manual for left hand bass. The fluencies are very low and speakers distort easily with standard Leslies. Sorry, I know more about old Hammonds than Nords! I'm about to get NE5. I hope getting these lower harmonics is possible.
getintune

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Return to Nord Electro Forum