General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Stage 2 vs Stage 2EX - sound

Postby Gorantovic » 06 Feb 2017, 00:49

Hi guys,

did you notice some differences in sound quality between these two models? From what I heard it seems like the 2EX is little bit brighter, more precise, somewhere in 8k area. Did someone compare it side by side?

Cheers!
Gorantovic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Stage 2 vs Stage 2EX - sound

Sponsor

Re: Stage 2 vs Stage 2EX - sound

Postby ericL » 06 Feb 2017, 17:13

I have both and they sound the same to me. There are some very slight improvements to the organ model and/or Leslie simulator on the 2EX, but I use a Ventilator and it sounds the same to me. I have not done any scientific comparison, but I think they are essentially identical, aside from more memory and slightly updated organ in the 2EX. And some different graphics on the panel plus the IEC power cable.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby maxpiano » 07 Feb 2017, 09:11

ericL wrote:I have both and they sound the same to me. There are some very slight improvements to the organ model and/or Leslie simulator on the 2EX, but I use a Ventilator and it sounds the same to me. I have not done any scientific comparison, but I think they are essentially identical, aside from more memory and slightly updated organ in the 2EX. And some different graphics on the panel plus the IEC power cable.

Recalling a long discussion on this forum, I still don't think that the organ model is different between the 2, since they share exactly the same OS (firmware); maybe what you hear is the result of changes/improvements in the (analog) output section of the 2EX (?)
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby aureliopenna » 07 Feb 2017, 15:57

Same exactly thing
aureliopenna

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Frantz » 08 Feb 2017, 01:17

Gorantovic, do you think that all the sounds, not only the organ, but also pianos and synths, globally, the NS2ex sounds too bright, good for playing live in a band, but not so good when recoded in studio conditions, and too thin on pianos when played solo on a studio record especially ?
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Gorantovic » 09 Feb 2017, 14:12

Generally I think that all sounds on NS2 (and 2EX) are little bit "smaller" comparing to other keyboards, thinner. But, when you bring all these keyboards on stage, NS2 is apsolute winner. It cuts through in every situation and every genre. There are no additional low end and sub frequencies, and mid frequencies are dense and present. That instrument is what its name says - stage instrument. Everyone of us who often play on big stage knows that "smaller", tighter sounds are more thankful for mixing and putting "in place". Compare it with some Korg or Roland stuff, which usually have boomy sound with hollow mids (yes, thay sounds bigger in studio), but on stage, they are very hard to manage. So, you are right...
Gorantovic

Return to Nord Stage Forum