General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage versus Computer

Postby LudovicVDP » 07 Feb 2017, 17:58

Hi all.

First thread here but surely not the first time I come to read your advices.
Small introduction to my question.
I currently use a laptop with a sh***y midi keyboard when I’m playing live. I use Ableton and control everything with a Behringer FCB1010. I like that kind of config because the possibilities in Ableton are limitless and having everything controlled with my foot keeps my hands on the keybed, where they belong.
For a bunch of reasons, I’d like to get rid of the computer and have everything on a single keyboard.

I have been considering the NS2ex 76 for a long time but something always kept me away from the purchase button. For most of the songs I play, I don’t need complicated program lists. One or two sounds per song. No fancy multi sounds programs. And I can make my own prog/split/layers/sounds if needed with the sample editor.

For some songs though…
Let’s take an example: I start with a synth on left hand, another one on right hand. While the left hand hold the last note, I switch to the next program and I have a piano on the right hand. The synth note is still there. Switching again (always with the foot as both hands are playing) I have another synth left hand and another sound right hand. One of the two expression pedal on the FCB1010 then controls a filter. Then again, diff sounds, diff effects for the same control pedal. Then again… You get the picture. 10 diff sounds on 5-6 diff programs for only one song. No free hands and no time to dig into banks. Everything programmed beforehand so that hitting one button with my feet gives me everything I need and going through the 5-6 programs goes flawlessly.

I’m afraid this will be trickier on the Nord… if not impossible.

It would hurt to put the money on the table to realize afterward that I would still need to use the computer for some songs (and the NS as a midi controller). That’s not the point.

How do you deal with more elaborated program lists for more demanding songs?

Thanks a lot for helping me finally buying (or not !) another red beast. (I already have the NL2X that stays home. No more live use)

Ludovic
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Nord Stage versus Computer

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage versus Computer

Postby harmonizer » 07 Feb 2017, 20:45

This thread includes discussion of what happens when you change programs on a Stage:
post81053.html?hilit=program%20change#p81053
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Re: Nord Stage versus Computer

Postby LudovicVDP » 08 Feb 2017, 08:01

Thanks. I had seen this thread. Looks like changing programs demands several manipulation or button pressed. No "on the fly" things. Between songs I don't mind but when playing it can be annoying.

Concerning the sound that cuts when changing patches, I remember having seen something about slot A and B. Going from one to the other one would not cut anything. Is it correct? Could be a solution for at least two sets of sounds then. That's already something.
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Return to Nord Stage Forum