General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Quick sound organization question

Postby maestrosteve » 31 Jan 2017, 03:39

My Stage 2 EX compact is still on order. I’m trying to prepare myself to get right into it, I’ve read the manual at least a dozen times.

Regarding sound organization - since I need access to many sounds quickly and I’ve read many previous posts regarding methods to accomplish that, I do have 1 question.

You have Bank buttons A-B-C-D and 5 program buttons so you have basically 1 or 2 button pushes to access 20 sounds immediately. Great.

Each bank has 40 pages.
If you then go up to the next page, does it changes the page for every bank so you get another 20 sounds just changing the page? or does it just change the page just for the selected bank?

I see that there are lots of different methods for laying out the sounds in a way that makes for quick access. The way that I mentioned where I can get 20 sounds really quickly - does that seem like the best way for me to do it, or am I missing something better?

Sorry if this sounds like a real elementary question, and I know I'd be able to answer it in a second if I actually had the keyboard in my possession. I thought I'd have it over a week ago, but they are now shipping and I hope to have it by the end of this week. Thanks for your help.
maestrosteve

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Quick sound organization question

Sponsor

Re: Quick sound organization question

Postby KyleM » 31 Jan 2017, 04:43

I feel like I've read about this on the forum but personally I wouldn't be able to explain it well.
But the link to the manual is here and I think it's on 17 and 18

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/defa ... on%20J.pdf
Last edited by KyleM on 31 Jan 2017, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
KyleM

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby maestrosteve » 31 Jan 2017, 05:01

I've read this, not in the older manual you linked to, but the latest Stage 2 EX manual. It doesn't really help me. I know what it says about program buttons, bank buttons and pages, but it doesn't specifically answer my question.

Now that I've read it again, it makes me ask an additional question since when you make a change, the sound is supposed to be immediate.
When you change patches, lets say you are playing A-1, you want to go to B-3 and hit the B button first before hitting the 3, does that mean that momentarily you hear the sound from B-1 before you can hit the 3 button?

I'd still like to know if changing the page while playing a sound in "A" changes the page in B, C, and D at the same time so you get an additional quick 20 patches to play.
I think that is what I'm read, but I'm just hoping that someone could verify it and confirm that I'm not misunderstanding that concept.

I'm sure this is a simple concept for those who have a Stage and are used to the sound layout. I'm coming from a lifetime of Kurzweil keyboards, their sound setups and terminology, so I'm just trying to match in my mind one way with the other.

Thanks,

Steve
Last edited by maestrosteve on 31 Jan 2017, 05:08, edited 2 times in total.
maestrosteve

Postby KyleM » 31 Jan 2017, 05:49

Ah Okay I see. I don't have my NS2 in front of me so I'm not really sure. I will check it by this time tomorrow and let you know. I have a NS2 but it should be the same since they share an operating system. I will check and let you know if someone else doesn't home in. If I were to guess i know when you have "Category" selected it goes through each instrument by category alphabetically between all the banks. I do know A and D banks are identical so if you disable "write protection" in the system menu you can copy sounds from any bank in the order you prefer to either of those banks without losing a preset.

We'll figure it out somehow! Lol

The author KyleM was thanked by:
maestrosteve
KyleM

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby maestrosteve » 31 Jan 2017, 05:55

Kyle,

Thank you for taking your time to help me. Very much appreciated.

Steve
maestrosteve

Postby maxpiano » 31 Jan 2017, 09:10

maestrosteve wrote:Now that I've read it again, it makes me ask an additional question since when you make a change, the sound is supposed to be immediate.
When you change patches, lets say you are playing A-1, you want to go to B-3 and hit the B button first before hitting the 3, does that mean that momentarily you hear the sound from B-1 before you can hit the 3 button?

I'd still like to know if changing the page while playing a sound in "A" changes the page in B, C, and D at the same time so you get an additional quick 20 patches to play.
I think that is what I'm read, but I'm just hoping that someone could verify it and confirm that I'm not misunderstanding that concept.
Steve

Yes, it will change to B1* unless you use the Pending Load function (check the manual) which will let you browse and wait until you push the button, to actually change the sound.

In general, if you want flexibility in changing programs, the best choice is to use a tablet with a Setlist manager (such as SetlistMaker) and MIDIed to your rig, to handle that.

*Note: consider also that on NS changing a Program stops the sound, so any change will not make you hear the (temporary or finally selected) Program, unless you hit new keys.
Last edited by maxpiano on 31 Jan 2017, 09:11, edited 2 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
maestrosteve
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby pablomastodon » 01 Feb 2017, 02:12

some clarification here...Maestro, you mentioned 40 pages...this is incorrect

Total 4 Banks, A-D

Each bank with 20 pages of 5 programs each, 100 total per bank

Unless Pending Load is engaged, every motion of main selector knob or press of program or bank button will trigger an immediate program change.

I figure I can get through 90%+ of an evening gig with 15 programs

Organize top 5 onto page 2, with pages 1 and 3 populated by the other 10 of this 15

This yields a "matrix" which can quickly and easily be navigated with page and program buttons

Pages 4 and 5 hold "special" programs tailor made for specific tunes

bless, pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
maestrosteve
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Stage Forum